Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG my head is killing me. Obviously, I should get off the computer and go lie down, but I know it won't help. I was hoping ya'll could share ways you deal with bad or migraine headaches, other than to take medication (including otc).

Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
When I have a migrane, I HAVE to take drugs. It wont go away on its own.

Why no meds? It will help!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JollyMolly said:
When I have a migrane, I HAVE to take drugs. It wont go away on its own.

Why no meds? It will help!
I'm just looking for some more holistic ideas. A person can only take so many drugs.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lbradorabl said:
cuddle your dog
Yeah, that fixes just about every ailment, doesn't it? :) Mine, however, are emitting some horrible farts this morning. I think they may be gassing me to death!

B

·
0 Posts
Jenn, I take a really hot shower as long as the hot water will run. Then I go lay down and sleep in a dark quiet room. Hot showers make me really sleepy and force me to relax my body. Stay away from caffeine because it may help initially but it may cause a rebound headache which is usually worse.

If it is truly a migraine (you're getting halos, losing vision in one eye, seeing spots, nausea etc.) and you don't want to medicate you are really going to be miserable...not sure there's a way to get rid of it without medicating. A bad headache (not a migraine) might go away with a long nap...and a snack. Blood sugar might be an issue right now...have you eaten? Something with protein?

Sorry you feel cruddy. :(

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BudGirl8 said:
Jenn, I take a really hot shower as long as the hot water will run. Then I go lay down and sleep in a dark quiet room. Hot showers make me really sleepy and force me to relax my body. Stay away from caffeine because it may help initially but it may cause a rebound headache which is usually worse.

If it is truly a migraine (you're getting halos, losing vision in one eye, seeing spots, nausea etc.) and you don't want to medicate you are really going to be miserable...not sure there's a way to get rid of it without medicating. A bad headache (not a migraine) might go away with a long nap...and a snack. Blood sugar might be an issue right now...have you eaten? Something with protein?

Sorry you feel cruddy. :(
Yeah, I had a bowl of cereal. I'm pretty sure you are all right on and I am dehydrated. I get that way pretty quickly. I've gone and made half a sandwich and poured a tall glass of water.

B

·
0 Posts
oohhhh...yeah. gotta keep that water flowing big time. had a friend who would buy a case of those 16 oz bottles of water a week and the rule was to go through them by the end of the week. That way she knew she was staying hydrated. She was getting headaches there for a while too.

Feel better soon!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
What's that TV commercial that everyone hates...Head On or something where you roll it on your forehead. Lie down and NO LIGHTS...no sounds, no tv, etc.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I need to have caffeine. When you buy any over the counter medications specifically for migraines - they ALL contain caffeine. So, when I'm out of them, or don't have access, I usually have a cup of tea (has more than coffee). It does help.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Hhmm, I always have to take Advil & Dramamine for a migraine, then go lay down with a cold wet rag over my eyes. But, I can keep it at bay for awhile by staying hydrated and also drinking a little extra coffee. That doesn't stop the migraine, just keeps it kind of in the background until I can give in and lay down.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i agree with the hot shower but i also do some breathing exercises in a dark room. i imagine the migraine flowing from my head, down my back, into my arms, and out through my fingers. believe it or not, it really works. i also make sure i do deep controlled breathing (i read somewhere that headaches could result from the brain not getting enough oxygen so deep breaths always do me a world of good). good luck. i know how horrible they can get. hope you feel better soon.

J

·
0 Posts
Jenn, I have a book of Alternative Home Remedies. Here are a few things listed:

1) Ice - "The majority of patients will find that during acute episodes, ice is their best friend."

2) Acupressure - "Pressing the acupressure point (called L14) in the thick, meaty part of the web between your thumb and forefinger can help relieve headache pain." "Apply pressure with a rhythmic, pumping action." "The right amount of pressure, says Dr. Mauskop, will produce a twinge that isn't painful but isn't soothing, etiher. You can apply pressure for as long as necessary to reduce or eliminate your headache, working each hand for about a minute at a time."

3) Aromatheropy: As effective as ibuprofen - "Rubbing peppermint oil on your temple at the start of a tension headache can relieve pain just as effectively as taking ibuprofen..." "Dilute one drop of peppermint essential oil in one or two drops of almond oil or other carrier oil to apply to your head or add three drops to a warm bath." "Other essential oils, such as lavender or Roman chamomile, can also help relieve a tension headache...." "Sprinkle one drop of the oil of your choice on a tissue and inhale deeply. Or take a bath in warm water to which you have added five or six drops of oil."

4) Vitamin B6 - 50 milligrams a day. Helps to stabilize serotonin levels.

5) As others have mentioned, drink water. Fiber and water are both excellent ways to combat headaches.

Book also lists Meditation, Visualization and Energy Healing.

There is a big article about MSG and migraines. I stay away from products with MSG, but I didn't know that MSG can be an ingredient in a food but not be listed as MSG on the label!

Also, according to this book, Aspartame (aspartic acid), think NutraSweet and Equal, has the same effect as MSG.

The book lists these ingredients as always containing MSG:

Monosodium glutamate
Hydrolyzed protein
Sodium caseinate
yeast extract
Yeast nutrient
Maltodextrins
Autolyzed yeast
Textured protein
Calcium caseinate
Yeast food
Hydrolyzed oat flour

The following OFTEN contain MSG:

Malt extract
Malt flavoring
Bouillon
Barley malt
Broth
Stock
Flavoring(s)
Natural flavoring(s)
Natural beef flavoring
Natural chicken flavoring
Natural pork flavoring
Food seasonings

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Ideas for non medicated ways to deal with a migraine?

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer!

The headache has mostly gone away. I used lots of water combined with acupressure and deep breathing. I also canceled my plans for tonight, which decreased the stress of having to function with a migraine. JLmom, thanks for the info! I'll definitely buy some peppermint oil for next time. I actually already take 100 mg/day of B6, and I never, ever eat MSG or artificial sweetener.

2labsmom said:
i imagine the migraine flowing from my head, down my back, into my arms, and out through my fingers.
this is a super good idea. I will do this next time for sure!

Thanks all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts