Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is blood in the urine?

Wait-til-your-doc-(who-you've-called-3x-today)-calls-back bad?
Or
Get-thee-to-an-ER-right-away bad?

No other symptoms. No pain. But am peeing a lot. And it's not bright angry red. It's more like a pinky/brown. So maybe that's not blood at all???

But it's been basically all day. (First call to doc was logged @ 11AM)

Eek.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Might just be a kidney/bladder infection...esp if peeing frequently. Keep calling - leave detailed msg with nurse if possible!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
When you called the doctor, did you tell whoever you spoke to what's going on? If not, I would call back asap and ask to speak with a nurse and tell them what's up. I think you'd want to get some medical opinion on this today.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
If it's a bladder infection, it will hurt...eventually...and it is very uncomfortable.

Antibiotics will help very quickly. Hope you get some soon.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
BoatDog said:
Might just be a kidney/bladder infection...esp if peeing frequently.
This was my first thought as well.

I wouldn't go to the ER, personally, and would wait to hear from doc. If you don't hear back today and you don't want to wait, you could go to an urgent care clinic for a urinalysis to see if that's it. (Cheaper and less wait than the ER typically.)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Derf said:
When you called the doctor, did you tell whoever you spoke to what's going on? If not, I would call back asap and ask to speak with a nurse and tell them what's up. I think you'd want to get some medical opinion on this today.
Nurse is off duty today. Just my damned luck. Have left DETAILED msgs w/receptionist. She's informed me that my file is on the doc's desk.

It's close to 5PM. If the end of the day comes and I haven't heard, something tells me I'm not *going* to hear.

*****off to call one mo' time*****

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
dweck said:
Derf said:
Nurse is off duty today. Just my damned luck. Have left DETAILED msgs w/receptionist. She's informed me that my file is on the doc's desk.

It's close to 5PM. If the end of the day comes and I haven't heard, something tells me I'm not *going* to hear.

*****off to call one mo' time*****
docs and nurses sometimes make their call backs after hours...Good luck

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Could be possible doc is waiting till after last patient... maybe?

I used to get kidney/bladder infections all the time when I was away at college (found out later I had a freak-of-nature kidney stone). Would pop into a doc-in-the-box, pee in a cup, "yep, that's it, here are your antibiotics". If it would make you feel better to either rule an infection out or in sooner rather than later, I vote for doing that on your way home.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would continue to call the doctor...I wouldn't waste a trip to the ER if that is your only symptom...did you eat anything or drink anything unusual?

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Do you have an Urgent Care nearby that is opened at night?
(I guess that's the same as doc-in-the-box?)

If it does start hurting...it may be a very stinging sensation...
best to fix it before that happens.

good luck, Dan.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
zoesmom said:
Do you have an Urgent Care nearby that is opened at night?
(I guess that's the same as doc-in-the-box?)
Yep. Since I mentioned Urgent Care in my earlier post, I figured he would know what I meant. A co-worker called them that once and I'd never heard it before. I imagine the docs don't care for it, but I thought it was funny. :happy:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it, and don't go to the ER, the cost is outrageous. Many times doctors wait until the end of their day to return calls. In the meantime, if you have any cranberry juice at home (and I mean juice not cranberry juice cocktail) you might try drinking a couple of glasses before you to go bed.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
It happens to my dad frequently. He gets.....(I'll get this wrong) calcium deposits (Not exactly stones) and when he passes them they say that the jagged edges cause little tears and the bleeding. Of course he does dialysis and has other issues....but they don't get to concerned about it when it happens.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You might get a call back after hours when the doctor gets a minute to catch up and review what's been going on. Here's another thought -- my insurance card has a number that you can call and you can speak to a nurse. Maybe check and see if yours has something similar.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Dan, I don't think you need to go to the ER or Urgent Care, if you aren't having any other symptoms except the blood. Now listen and don't panic, the SU had the exact same thing. He went to the Dr. They told him it was probably a urinary infection and gave him antibiotics. Blood stopped. Couple weeks later it was back. This time his PCM sent him to a Urogolist. They ran a scope up his "youknowwhat" to have a look. He had a cancerous growth on the inside of his bladder. Sometimes blood in the urine is the only symptom of bladder cancer. Don't let this go. Make someone take a look inside. They removed the growth and an area of good tissue. They caught his early. He didn't even have to have any chemo or radiation. They said this is a very easy cancer to cure, if caught early enough. Thing is some people see the blood for a couple day and then it stops. They just put up with it. DON'T DO THIS. Get this checked out. SU has been cancer free for 7 years. BTW, it didn't have any effect on his abilities in certain areas, if you get what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doc called after his last pt. Phoned in a scrip for antibiotic. And he's going to try to squeeze me in tomorrow...

Thanx, all. I'll let you know how I fare.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Good luck, Dan. My BIL has had bladder cancer and my sister has kidney stones - and the symptoms were the same for both of them :crazy:

ETA - Sorry - my mouse battery died! I was going to say that it is something you should have checked, but hopefully it is very minor. Prayers and good thoughts for it being simple and an easy cure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts