Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight at Grace Cathedral (Episcopal) we had a wine and cheese tasting party at 6:30.

Bring your favorite wine and cheese/appetizers/etc.

My favorite for many, many years has been a Chardonnay (a white burgundy).

If money were no object, a Pouilly Fuisée would be my choice.

But, fortunately, one of the few advantages of advancing age is a loss in taste sensitivity. After 30 years age, there's a steady decline in tongue/taste buds and odor/smell sensitivity, both of which are involved in taste discrimination. The fortunate thing is that now I can consume lesser quality (and cheaper) wines that I'd never previously tolerate.

Many years ago I used to work nights and weekends at the biggest liquor store in a college town (Columbia, MO). On football weekends, we'd constantly have 100 people crammed in the store buying booze before the game. Othertimes it was far less hectic. Since we sold wines and, since customers would sometimes ask for advice and, since I didn't know what to tell them -- I began reading books on wine.

Our store manager (Mr. Levy) did not drink alcohol but saw and appreciated my interest. Every night as I left work, he'd hand me a bottle of wine to take home.

Through my reading (and Mr. Levy's generosity) I developed a discriminating palate for wine, sensitive enough to easily tell the difference between a house wine reputed to be "X label" but which was serving a lesser grade, "Y" label.

No more.

99% of the time I make do with a box Chardonnay -- for awhile Almaden but, recently, it tastes too sweet, so currently Vella.

BUT, for tonight's W&C party, I splurged.

The liquor store I usually use has hundreds of wines including domestics, Chilean, Austrailian, South African, etc., etc., wines but almost no French wines.

So, I went to "Cork & Barrel" in nearby Lawrence, roamed their aisles and picked a Jadot Pouilly-Fuisée (about $30 USD+ taxes) and a Berringer (USA) private reserve (about $27).

For cheeses, I bought/brought from Hy-Vee a bit of Provolone, a bleu from Denmark, a Camembert, and a Gouda. (The Danish bleu was heavenly -- melt in your mouth -- nearly orgasmic!!)

I went hoping to meet people (I'm very new at the Cathedral) and also hoping to find a low cost/high quality chardonnay that I could add to my shopping list.

I was surprised to find that almost half the wines displayed were Chardonnays. I'd not realized "C" was so popular.

And I hadn't known there was a contest to vote for the best wine.

My Jadot's Pouilly-Fuisée won by a landslide.

I was given a $20 gift certificate to one of my favorite Italian restaurnts. (I'll probably ask Millie.)

Hey, not bad!!

Invest $70+ for your friends, get $20 back

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Good work. It's all about the whole picture on the return on investment not just the financial. Sounds like a successful evening all around. Congratualtions.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
You know being pregnant really sucks. I could really go for some camembert and wine right about now. I also like blue cheese, in fact cambozola is one of my favourites, but it's also a no go right now.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I just recently tried the Berringer Reserve. Yum!
If you like reds, you might try Trapiche Broquel Malbec. The 2007 is very good. It was 13.99 a bottle. I think it was rated 89 or 90 by Wine Spectator.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Do you like reds? I drink inexpensive reds. Rosemount Estates (Australia) has a really nice Grenache-Shiraz. I had a French red once and only once it tasted like a thiol. Thiols are analogous to alcohols except they have a sulphur molecule where the oxygen is in the alochol. It was awful.

http://www.rosemountestate.com.au/wine_list/blend_label/grenache_shiraz/index.htm

For whites I recently had Fuzion Chardonay-Chenin blend. It was good nicely flavoured and cheap apparently. DH brought it home from work.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/632581

And how rude of me. Congratulations of course and have a great dinner with Millie.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to like and drink reds (often Montrachat burgundies, Valpolicellas, some California merlots) but haven't for a long time.

For reds, I learned to never drink them until decanting them first for an hour to let them breathe and mellow out. I used to often drink reds with meals when I ate more red meat but, as meat in my diet has gradually migrated toward seafood and chicken, my choice of wine has gone from red to white.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I used to like and drink reds (often Montrachat burgundies, Valpolicellas, some California merlots) but haven't for a long time.

For reds, I learned to never drink them until decanting them first for an hour to let them breathe and mellow out. I used to often drink reds with meals when I ate more red meat but, as meat in my diet has gradually migrated toward seafood and chicken, my choice of wine has gone from red to white.

Oh. See I don't care about what food it's supposed to be paired with. I just prefer the taste of reds, plus they're good for a BYOB party because you don't need to refrigerate them.
I don't eat a lot of red meat either.

My husband's the white wine drinker as they tend to be sweeter and lighter than reds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts