Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try these foods that you all talk about SO BAD!!!! And I would never attempt to make them myself, it would need to be authentic.

One of our clients owns and operates a traditional New York Jewish Deli, and after reading the menu, my mouth was WATERING. There are no places like that around here at all. I don't even think there are any Jewish people around here. :( I just looked at Randi's Passover thread again, and I'm just dying to try this stuff. Then I went and looked at that deli menu...I don't even know what half this stuff is, but I want to find out:

STUFFED DERMA (KISHKA)
Served hot, with beef gravy if you like . ................... 3.99

LARGE BOWL OF BORSCHT WITH THE WORKS
A meal in itself... Boiled potato, hard boiled egg,
cucumber, minced onion and thick sour cream . ...... 5.99

LOX AND CREAM CHEESE SANDWICH on a hard roll . .... 7.99

KASHA KNISH buckwheat groats ............... 2.89

POTATO PANCAKES (2) with applesauce
or sour cream . ........................................... 3.89

WAH! :'(

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
You could make "Jewish Chicken Soup" also known as Matzoh Ball Soup. It's pretty easy. I make mine from mom's super-detailed recipe. I can PM it if you want. If you follow the directions, I can guarantee it will taste "authentic." :D My brisket is pretty easy as well. But both take awhile to cook.

I really don't cook "Jewish" foods, except for the holidays. I've never made any of the foods you listed from scratch, but I've had them all. Mom makes the best potato pancakes in the world. I'm not a fan of Kasha or Borscht, which is a cold beet soup, and cream cheese and lox MUST be on a New York bagel. ;D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
KISHKA is yummy
well everything you have listed there is good.

is katz's deli still around in NYC?
I think it was on the lower east side.

when I went to school of visual arts
I'd go there when I had enough time between classes

·
Registered
120 Posts
I grew up with Jewish food and HATED it. LOL. The only thing I liked was the lox on bagels w/ cream cheese. Those were yummy!

Maybe being born on Christmas had something to do with it? *ducks*

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Denise...yes, PM me the recipe!!

Would you rather have Lox or Nova with cream cheese on a bagel? (I know they're similar, I'm not sure of the difference). Does it taste fishy? I want to try it, but I'm afraid of fishy.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Nova IS lox. There is Nova lox and Belly lox - which is salty. Yes both are fishy.

I've put the recipe in the Recipe Section (it's a bit long for a PM).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts