Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mambo has been very stubborn when it comes to getting over excited and jumping on people when he meets new people. We have been working on it, but I felt like he just wasn't getting it.

Than I take him to the car wash. They love him there and he loves all the attention. Anyways as I was trying to pay. A child came running up to Mambo. But I was trying to tell the child not to pet him yet until I get Mambo to settle and be calm. Come to find out the child has autism (sp)soon as the child spoke. Mambo sat down and was very calm. He allowed the child to pet him and grab on him, all while kinda screaming. But mambo just sat and was great. People were saying how well behaved he was with the child.

Than I took him to a primeoutlet shopping mall. Mambo was so well behaved it shocked me. He would sit everytime someone wanted to pet him. He didn't jump at all. He did slip the tongue to a face or two but was a gentleman about it. He also let a child who was holding an icecream cone pet him without even getting up. I was surprised he didn't go for the cone. He has done that before.

Anyways, it seems little. But if you know Mambo he is a pain when it comes to jumping. He is about 70 pounds now and its hurts when he comes running at you full force than jumps in your face. So since he was so good I bought him a Wendy's frosty and we went and spent the rest of the day at the dog beach and park.

Now hoping he behaves. I left him out of the crate the whole day in my room. Hoping he is good.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
That's great Amanda! I don't consider that a little thing...Sawyer is hard to handle when he gets really excited too, so I understand.

Good boy Mambo!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Good Job Mambo! Sounds like you're doing great Amanda!

I always wondered if some dogs are intune with how to behave amongst kids. My girls love children and they sit everytime toddlers approach them. SU and I were always commanding them to sit when approached by kids, but I really don't think it's in the training. Other than our grandkids, the girls exposure to toddlers was infrequent.

I think Labs have a gentle soft side to them when it comes to little kids.Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know a few months ago I would have never thought that would happen. My friends daughter was ovr and Mambo kept trying to mount her and hump her. Or over power her. she was close to his size. I was worried Mambo wouldn't be good around kids. He has never really been around a lot of kids. But I think the more time I am putting in training is really paying off. It feels good when he behaves and others notice. ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Good job Mambo; that's a BIG deal!! Congrats!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts