Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southern ACCENT!!!!! What the hell!!!!! I have never heard that before. No one has ever told me I sounded like a southern hick before :mad:

I know I am from the south but I do not sound like it. OH BOY!!!!! :eek:

Anyone else get that from people that you talk to on the phone that are from somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yeah, when I lived in Minnesota I was told I sounded like a Southerner, and when I came back here, I was told I sounded like a Minnesotan.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Aren't you native Sam? Why not be proud of it?

I know I have a southern drawl sometimes - espcially if I've been on the phone with my NC friends. lol

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its not that I am not proud of it. Just never heard anyone say that about me.

I get picked on because I grew up on the northside of town. Which is where a lot of people say ******** live. So I have been classified as one. But never told I sounded like a southerner. Neither one of my parents or my brohter sound like it either. Maybe this guy had never talked to anyone from the south before?

He said to me "So you are down in Florida right?" I said "yes we are in Jacksonville, FL" he said" Yeah you sound like it. Sounds like you have a thick southern in you".....WHAT!!!! Never heard that before. O'well its cool. Some Guys think it is cute. maybe that is why Cody likes me????

Ender's Mom said:
Call me.. I'll tell you :)
I bet you would say no. But maybe I think I dont sound like it because I am use to hearing people talk like this. I have friends that are THICK.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I don't think all southerner's are hicks...so I am confused by your protesting this statement.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dani said:
I don't think all southerner's are hicks...so I am confused by your protesting this statement.
A lot of people do. Or at least a lot of people I come across. Not saying anyone on here thinks that. Just a lot of people I know. Thats all.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Most Northerners don't consider those with a southern accent, hicks. I've been travelling to the Southern states for over 18 years and it's funny that many southern folk think the rest of the world views them as hicks. I really don't think those in the Northeast even think about it.

I think people in the northeast hear so many accents due to the diverse ethnic make up,that we actually don't notice any accent or we don't make big deal out of it.
We hear Russia,Italian,Polish,Bosnian,Vietnamese,Spanish,Mid Eastern and on and on... this is in small cities not just NYC . Atlanta is losing it's southern dialect. I've noticed over the past few years and is sounding more like Northeastern communities.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I was going to comment on the "hick" comment (derogatory), but I commented on the Yorkie (rat) comment the other day and everyone seemed to be okay with that comment, too. ::)

Native Floridians, IMO do have a thick southern accent....you probably just don't realize it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MyLabsMom said:
I was going to comment on the "hick" comment (derogatory), but I commented on the Yorkie (rat) comment the other day and everyone seemed to be okay with that comment, too. ::)

Native Floridians, IMO do have a thick southern accent....you probably just don't realize it.
I am thinking I just dont realize it because I hear it all day long and never been around anything else.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Tater said:
Dani said:
A lot of people do. Or at least a lot of people I come across. Not saying anyone on here thinks that. Just a lot of people I know. Thats all.
Blam the guy from Georgia named Jeff. ::)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I have a southern accent (some here can attest to that), but I am NOT a hick!! ;) Better watch out or I won't stick my southern accent butt out for you again! ;)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
For the record, you can be a hick w/out having a southern accent - or you can have a southern accent and not be a hick!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BoatDog said:
For the record, you can be a hick w/out having a southern accent - or you can have a southern accent and not be a hick!
Well I guess the thing is, "I" have always been called a hick. So maybe thats where I get that from.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I've been told I have a southern accent by northern friends and relatives(I do, lol?) I have never been called a hick.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IzzyLucyWillie said:
kiddsmom said:
Tater said:
BoatDog said:
Well I guess the thing is, "I" have always been called a hick. So maybe thats where I get that from.
If the shoe fits...
Hicks don't wear shoes ::) LMAO
See I wear shoes, I never go without them. NEVER.... NO Jiffy feet for me!!!! ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts