Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am being overly cautious but with Molly being sick earlier in the week I started looking at the treats I was feeding them. I give them the Purina One biscuts & I started checking the ingredients & I noticed there is wheat gluten in them. Her lab work is fine but I'm not taking any chances. For now I am just giving them some Cheerioes as treats.
There is no wheat gluten in the Pro PLan Chicken & Rice that I feed them.

Is anyone else checking the ingredients more closely now?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh crap. Good idea Georgie.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hope Molly is feeling better now I just switched Buddy over to the PAUL Newman treats but Cheerios sounds like a great idea I'm sure he would love them :)

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I just threw out my Pill Pockets last night when I realized they had Wheat Gluten in them. Even though the website said it's fine, I'd rather be safe than sorry later. Back to the cheese for their pills.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
The only treats I give Tal are those freeze dried beef liver treats. I will be buying a new bag of food soon and I am trying to decide if I should switch. I use IAMS LB puppy food. I think it's probably ok but it gets ya to where you don't know what to do.

BoatDog said:
Yep - checking anything and everything they eat and no more treats at the bank drive thru for now either!
I had not thought of that...good idea. When we go to Petsmart or Petco they always give treats. Gonna stop that too. **sigh** sad when you can't even allow someone to be nice to your dog anymore..:(

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I feed both wheat free food and biscuits, but I double checked just to make sure.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yes, I am definetly looking more closely at everything that goes into my puppies mouth. I got rid of her Milkbone biscuits a long time ago when I saw there was BHT in them. For treats I give her: Old Mother Hubbard biscuits (first ingredient is wheat flour....no wheat gluten), American Kennel Club biscuits (first ingredient is wheat flour, no wheat gluten), and Healthy Rewards dog treats (first ingredient is rice flour.....no wheat anything in these). When the American Kennel Club biscuits run out I don't think I will but them again as there are too many ingredients in them, with names I can't even pronounce. I also give her raw carrots, cut up in small pieces for treats. I may start using Cheerios too; do you think a 4 month old pup can have Cheerios now? I use treats a lot when training her so I want to keep them low-fat if possible so she maintains her girlish figure!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
That's a very good idea, Georgie. Just to be safe.

I recently had Shelby to the vet for an annual exam. They gave her several biscuits and it makes me kind of angry to think back on it. I have no idea what kind they were or what was in them. And they didn't bother to ask me if it was ok. I'll take my own next time if they feel the need to give my dogs treats.

2,990 Posts
I used lots of Cheerios with Cooper for training treats when he was a "baby" so I think you could use them with your 4 month old. Cooper stayed slim and trim!

Bev.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh yes. Not only checking dog food ingredients, but human food as well. I don't think you can be too careful. :-\

I'm sure everything is fine, but I would be right there with ya tossing the biscuits too, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with Boatdog about the treats given at the bank drive-thru. No more of them either. I feel bad but I was kind of surprised when I read all the ingredients in the Purina One biscuts & halfway through the list, there is was....wheat gluten. It may be okay...but I'm not taking any chances. I also use Old Mother Hubbard Bitz...I did not see any wheat gluten listeed but they went in the garbage too.

I think the most upsetting thing is... have they really ever pin pointed what the problem was? I have heard two versions of what they think.

I figure I eat the Cheerios so I will use those for now.

G

·
We tossed all dog treats when I first heard about the treat recall. Its not worth it to me. I have checked all the dog food for wheat gluten and none of the food we feed has it in it.
Im scared what it to come next.. ???

G

·
I checked too. Thankfully I only feed two kinds of treats -- and neither has wheat gluten in them. I also picked up some Innova Evo treats, but I haven't given any to Sami yet.

G

·
I've been checking everything, too. I didn't find any wheat gluten in any of Casey's food or treats but I did find some in some free samples of cat food. That particular product doesn't seem to be on any of the recall lists ...yet... but I threw it out just to be on the safe side. It sounds like cats are even more sensitive to the toxin than dogs. :mad:

For training treats right now we're using Cheerios, pieces of Casey's regular PP C&R and some 100% freeze dried liver.

Casey doesn't often go with me in the car so I hadn't thought of the bank drive through but thanks for mentioning that, Boat Dog.

·
Registered
85 Posts
At the pet store a few days ago it was quite a sight seeing a bunch of people standing there reading the ingredients on the bags of food and boxes of treats and asking the store employees to help them check ingredients. I've never seen that many people doing it before (usually it's just me :laugh:). Thankfully the store I go to for food and treats is a small family owned shop and the employees are all quite well educated and informed about feeding and training (many are vet techs, vet students or apprentice trainers) it's such a big help. You won't find that kind of service at the big retailers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts