Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took them on a walk, there's some hard snow out there and it is VERY cold, my poor Max kept lifting up his paws along the walk. I'd warm them up in my gloved hands and he'd walk again until the next time. He kept lifting different paw. This is the first time this has happened, I've checked for anything that might be stuck between the digits or for any irritation and nothing. Do you t hink booties might help??

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Probably, though I use booties more to save Rocky's paws from the insane amount of salt used here (and all those little rocks in the sand too). He doesn't lift his paws up with the MuttLucks and it's been pretty cold here :) I've also taken him out on the ice with them.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
RANDI 8)

Check the the recent L/C thread about Mushers Balm. BobPr and Amy (jizzle) swear by it for paw protection.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I think I might be getting Muttlucks for Buddy. In this cold he is lifting paws when he goes out to potty. I can't be putting the Musher's Balm on him every time he goes out, because when they come back in, it's directly onto the living room carpet. I imagine that stuff will rub off and help the dirt work into the carpet, and there's no place to wipe his feet off before he gets on the carpeting. So, methinks we will try the boots.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
If there is salt on the walk that could be burning his feet.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
This happens to both Bear and Deacon, but mostly Deacon. I find it happens only when they are in the snow and it less then 1o degrees. It would happen to Deacon the other day just a minute or two after being let out, but it was -17.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I have little booties for Abbey but she always tries to kick them off. If we're on an on-leash walk we're fine, but if we're playing out there, she purposely tries to get rid of them... :laugh:

I would just try to use Musher's Secret but the ice/salt combo has cut Abbey's paws before so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I do know a lot of people have had a lot of success with Musher's Secret, though!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
I've never used boots but I think more people have complained about the difficulties getting a good fit or keeping them on than those that are satisfied with them.

We use Musher's Secret which also protects against salt.

Here's a link to a supplier. Please read the customer reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secrets-Secret-200g/dp/B0002IJQDM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1232240669&sr=8-
We use Musher's Secret also. Most of the camping supply stores carry that where we live. We have trimmed our outdoor time a little this past week. It's been below zero in the evenings and warming to a balmy 8 degrees in the day time. I don't think booties would work on my two. It would be summer by the time I put 8 booties on the girls. They do not want anyone touching their paws for very long.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
M&J both have had the same problem in this extremely cold weather. I leave them out only long enough to potty. We can catch up on exercise when weather gets better. It doesn't seem to bother Bruno or Duke.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob Pr. said:
I've never used boots but I think more people have complained about the difficulties getting a good fit or keeping them on than those that are satisfied with them.

We use Musher's Secret which also protects against salt.

Here's a link to a supplier. Please read the customer reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secrets-Secret-200g/dp/B0002IJQDM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1232240669&sr=8-
Sounds like this might help, for all of my dogs! I've just ordered it, thanks!!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I bough a couple differnt types of boots for Molly after she cut her pad real bad on the ice crusted snow a few years ago. Problem was she hated them & would just stand in the yard like a statue when I put them on her. Now I just check both girls pads. If there is a tiny cut I will put Neosporin on. I may have to look into Musher's Secret.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
When it gets crazy cold here, even Musher's Secret doesn't help... Hen still lifts his feet. The only thing that I've found so far that helps when it's super cold (and icy/salty) are Muttluks. We have the fleece-lined ones for Hen. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts