Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy has slept in a crate at night in our bedroom from the time we brought her home as a pup. I was able to not have to crate her during the day very early on 6-9 months old or so. But weaning her off the crate at night has been a challenge.
I have wanted to get rid of it and just have her sleep on her bed on the floor. We started by leaving the door ajar, but she wouldn't settle down if she didn't hear the "click" of the latch. We almost gave up but we decided to really work on getting her used to sleeping with the door open as a transition.
Well after weeks of leaving the door of her crate ajar and enforcing the rule of not getting on our bed, it was time for the true test.

I ordered a raised bed and it came on Monday. Set it up, put her orvis bed on it and so far 2 nights into it and she is sleeping happily! She got up once last night and I heard her wandering and I immediately told her to go back to bed and she listened...my stubborn, bull-headed gorilla actually listened! She is growing up finally (((sigh)))

Yay...no more big ugly metal crate in the bedroom!!

I never thought I could do it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Weird.. i just posted a similar thread =) Ahhh.. the little things..

what kind of raised bed did you get? I just have the round costco beds, but i'm not sure if those are the best for 8 hours of sleep...

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Isn't it funny how they get so used to the crate, that it's hard to "wean them off?" I remember I didn't want to crate Angus at first...it seemed "cage-like" to me. I would never have dreamed he would come to love it. We still have ours up too, because he still enjoys using it and I hate to take it down. :p We haven't closed the door to it in about a year and a half.

I kind of like keeping it up too, just for the rare occasion where they need to be crated (people coming over who don't like dogs, repair persons, etc.)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check out your post Kelli...

I bought a large raised rectangle bed from Sierra Trading Post..with extra discount codes and free shipping it as about $50.00. Her large orvis rectangle bed fits perfectly in it.

I have baby gates if I need to keep her from company, repairman. :)

Cricket still has her crate. She sleeps with the door ajar and often goes in it on her own during the day. It is small and unobtrusive. She needs the "cave" of her crate so I won't be taking it down.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I really want to get BJ to this point. He is driving me insane, waking me up several times a night and the only reason I can think of is he wants out of the crate. He doesn't need to go out - I've tried. It doesn't matter when he goes to bed either. Ack!

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Strange how dogs are so different ! I have never crated Dylan when I am home and even at night he doesn't create damage or stir !

I suppose that it helps that he sleeps on my bed but I have never had to admonish him at night for anything whatsoever !

Crosses fingers for Lucy !

Now leaving Dylan at home on his own without me being there is a trial we have yet to overcome ! He failed somewhat miserably at 12 months !

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Very cool. Isn't it nice to not have that big ugly crate in your space?

Toby never liked the crate but Chamois loved it. It was a bit of a challenge to wean her off of it too, but when we moved back to the States last year, we just didn't want it out on display any more. It took a bit, but she's now happy sleeping in our room at night without it. During the day, we put them together in the gated downstairs bedroom.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Good girl, Lucy! Murphy was very difficult to wean off from the crate. For a couple years after, he would still sleep in the same place the crate used to be.

Crateless in NH...good one Zoesmom! :D

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
We actually have the puppy sleeping out of the crate at night now and then. He too likes to be in there and asks to go back in sometimes - but he also digs sleeping on the bed. He is very, very reliable at night. I have no faith in his reliability when no one is home - but hubby seems to think it's fine to leave him out during the day for a couple of hours. So far no disasters. He's 8 months old now.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cinnamon still has a fit and won't settle whenever I taken her crate down. So it sits in the living room. If we are have create a nice appearence company I put it away until they leave and put it back up before bedtime. She only sleeps in it a few hours at night but she still wants it. She starts out on my bed but I am a restless sleeper so she leaves and crates it for a while and in the morning when I get up she is on the family room sofa or her bed in that room.

Glad you managed to get rid of Lucy's.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucy tried to sneak on the bed last night....not gonna budge on that rule.
No dogs on the bed. It can't happen, we barely fit on our double bed without the dogs.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
heehee...sneaking to try and get in the bed. well let's hope nothing ever happens to me....dutch is a bed sleeper...i'll make sure he comes with a california king!! LOL

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Koda did well on her 2nd night.. on her bed all night, not yet trying to get on the bed.

I have to decide if ever i'm going to let her up.. because if i do it once.. yeah..

My bed is really high.. with her knees, it's probably not a good idea, anyway.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't know if we will ever be able to get Bauer out of his crate. He loves it! We don't close the door anymore, but when he is tired he goes in there, when he knows we are leaving he goes in there. I used to hate having it out; but I made a cover for it and it doesn't bother as much anymore, but I would still love to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts