Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that Abbey turns into a water dog.

The past 2 summers I've tried to get her to be a swimmer. She can do it, and does it well, with and without her doggie life jacket. She just doesn't like it when the water goes over her head. She'll follow other dogs into the water until she can just barely touch, then turns around and runs out. :rolleyes:

But the past couple of times we've gone to the dog park, she's been RUNNING into the water and not freaking out as much. And last night my neighbor brought her puppy over so the two of them could run off some energy and she ran right into the nasty, scummy pond behind my apartment. :eek:

She wouldn't listen to me whatsoever and definitely got thrown in the bathtub after, but I'm hoping this is the year she'll turn into a swimmer!! :D

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I hope she discovers how much fun she can have. Willy does the same thing, just barely touching and then gets out. Sometimes I just want to reach in and give him a little nudge, he'd have no choice then, but I don't want to scare him and it would probably me taking a tumble head first into the water!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha Yeah, I've tried the whole "get in the water with her and hold her belly" thing and she kicks with all her legs very well. She's been in lakes, ponds, and pools and can swim very well. She just doesn't like it, but I hope this summer we'll be able to change her mind!! :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Bring her out with my crew. Libby is my water trainer. I've yet to have one not get so frustrated with Libby not to follow her into the water and swim.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bring her out with my crew. Libby is my water trainer. I've yet to have one not get so frustrated with Libby not to follow her into the water and swim.
LOL. I thought for sure at either of the Lab fests that we went to that she would have run right in with them, but she never went any deeper than where she could touch. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Libby would work magic with Abbey..! :D

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK was just like you describe up until she was 9 months old. One day, all alone, she decided it was time to swim and keepingher out of the water since has been a challenge.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Labby, Love the new siggy. Love the comment as much as the picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts