Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her back legs keep sliding out from under her and she gets stuck on the floor. When I am there, I can pick her up but what do I do when I am at work? I can't put rugs out for all the hardwood areas. She doesn't yelp but I know if must hurt to get in that "frog leg" position at her age (13). Her tail rarely wags but she still eats and wants some petting although not as much.
I am so sad that I can't fix this.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Also, trimming the hair between her pads could help.
This, and when our old wheaten was having the same problem (my mom has all tile on the main floor) we just bought some cheap carpet runners and placed them in strategic locations so she could easily get to her bed, water/food bowls, etc. Wasn't exactly feng shui but her comfort trumped. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh sweetie. I am so sad about this. I agree with maybe trying some cheap carpet runners? I know when Jules got worse, Brenda put down lots of runners everywhere and said it helped her get around. Jules had degenerative myelopathy, which rendered her back legs of little use.

I wish they would never get sick. :(

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mira is also having problems knowing when to poop due to the nerve issues. She is very irregular now instead of having a morning and evening poop like clockwork. I think I can put down some of that plastic you put over carpets and just keep her in the bedroom.
Thanks for your suggestions and kind words.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Mira is having this problem. It is so hard to see them struggling. I second the suggestions about trimming the hair between the paws and using the Shaws paw wax. Huckle had a similar issue when he got old....he was unable to get up when he was on the hardwood floors.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We have runners EVERYWHERE for our boy, and he does very well with his Rimadyl/Tramadol combo..but he periodically has "wipeouts"..you just do what you can for them and they'll let you know ....

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Mira is also having problems knowing when to poop due to the nerve issues. She is very irregular now instead of having a morning and evening poop like clockwork. I think I can put down some of that plastic you put over carpets and just keep her in the bedroom.
Reggie had a lot of these same issues. When I wasn't there, I confined him to a smaller room which had tile and used either carpet runners and/or rubber mats (the foam kind that are interlocking) to give him some traction. I also put in kurunda bed in there so if he laid on it, he had some leverage to get up. I put him in his little red vest so that when someone was there, it was easy to pick him up or help him to his fee. Regarding the poop issue. I got to the point where I would take Reggie out and express his poop (oh the things we do for our dogs) so that his bowels would be as empty as possible while I was gone. And yes, I still cleaned up poop.

There are a lot of good suggestions here but eventually they will not be enough (or maybe they are not enough now). You will know what's best. Personally I got to the point where I had to weigh was I doing the right thing for Reggie or was I doing this for me?

All my best thoughts for Mira. Feel free to PM anytime.

Jeanne

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.