Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed over the past year or so that I think I'm starting to become lactose intolerant. :(

I used to drink all those crazy mixed coffee drinks at Starbucks/Caribou that were made primarily with espresso and milk. I always got an upset stomach afterwards and didn't figure out it was the milk until I started drinking the same drinks with skim milk instead. So I think my stomach and regular whole milk don't mix..

I've also noticed that when I eat eggs alone, be it scrambled eggs, an omelette or deviled eggs, I'm in the bathroom for the next 6 hours and have horribly stomach pain. It wasn't bad eggs because it happens every time. Although if there's an egg or two in a dish, I'm normally fine, I just can't eat them alone.

Last night was the newest thing I discovered. I bought some of those Buitoni (sp?) 4 Cheese Ravioli from the store, cooked them up per the directions and poured some marinara sauce of them. They were really good but really cheesy. About an hour later, I was in the bathroom for a few hours. :ugly: I know it wasn't the sauce because I had just used the same container of sauce a few days ago with pasta. I checked for any recalls, there were none and the package didn't expire for another few months.

I can drink skim (fat-free only) milk with no problem. I have it everyday with my cereal. Lowfat cottage cheese and yogurt are fine, too. I have those a lot.

So, I'm thinking that I'm becoming lactose intolerant with some things, slowly but surely.

Did this happen to anyone else..?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Definitely me! I LOVE cheese. Not keen on milk, but gotta have my cheese. Had a grilled cheese for lunch today, plain American cheese. Couple of hours later it made it's presence known. A couple of times! :laugh:

Salad does that, too, though. I think I'm getting old.... :confused:

Lucy

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I can't eat eggs often--they upset my stomach too. But did you ever think that maybe it is the espresso that is upsetting your stomach? I know if I drink it I get horrible acid indigestion.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JeffersonsMom said:
I can't eat eggs often--they upset my stomach too. But did you ever think that maybe it is the espresso that is upsetting your stomach? I know if I drink it I get horrible acid indigestion.
I thought that, too, but I've had the same exact drink with skim milk instead and it doesn't happen to me at all... so I've got to think it's the whole milk.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My Mom has the same thing, it's recently started with shrimp too. I'm sorry you're feeling sick when you eat :no:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I don't think eggs have lactose in them. I have the same issue with eggs by themselves, though. I have to have enough starchy stuff with them or else they upset my stomach. I have a mild allergy to them.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Get some lactase pills at the OTC pharmacy (I use Equate brand). Helps a lot.

It's just one of the many benefits that come with the aging process, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
It happened to me with ice cream.

Of all the **** things,it had to be ice cream.

No it couldn't have been lima beans or parsnips it had to be ice cream.

Crickey it would have been so much easier to be lima bean intolerant

·
Registered
702 Posts
Its happened to me too. Milk and "real cheese" don't agree with me at all. I went the soy milk route and feel much better.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'd be thinking maybe it's gall bladder related, the high fat content. Eggs have no lactose, and if the low fat cottage cheese and milk are fine, I don't know if it's lactose intolerance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh WOW ... so it's not only me? I cannot eat eggs, nothing greasy, can only have skim milk, no ice cream, what is even the worse of the worse, cheese macaroni ... :hungry:

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
labs4life said:
It happened to me with ice cream.

Of all the **** things,it had to be ice cream.

No it couldn't have been lima beans or parsnips it had to be ice cream.

Crickey it would have been so much easier to be lima bean intolerant
Now that would be a big bummer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts