Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you give someone great advice, because you have been there and done that and they don't do what you told them to do but they still want to complain to you about the problem? Well from now on I am going to take back my advice.
Would someone lend me their magic wand so I can rewind and shut my mouth.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
People who are looking for advice usually don't want it, it's just their way of starting the *****. Just sayin...

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I love this topic.

Two of the girls at work are the "ask for but don't follow advice" girls. You KNOW they are going to ask you for a way, a better way, a faster way, a more secure way, a whatever way to do or procure something. You KNOW, in the end, they are going to do it their own way with poor results.

So, I quit advising. Now I just say "What have you tried so far?" When they tell me I say, "Hm. Sounds like you covered the bases really well. I sure can't think of anything to improve upon THOSE ideas!"

And with this, they mosey along their merry little way. Until next time...

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Our girls each went through a stage asking Mom for advicve. They got it, and then went off doing something very different. My wife would get so upset with them, 'Why do they ask?' After many attempts, I finally got her to accept that they didn't want advice, they wanted opinion or suggestion, or alternatives. One thing for sure was that a specific suggestion was not going to be followed, because .... it came from one of us.

5-10 years later, when advice is sought, it is generally appreciated, and often followed. They key is not to be too specific in the advice, but to plant the seeds that will lead them to the right answer.

Of course, this thread was not focused on parent/child relationship.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
On the same subject kind of sorta.

I have a friend who just moved to the area. Often this friend asks me if I know a good mechanic or electrician or plumber or dentist or whatever. In almost all cases I would recommend my guy and he would be either too expensive, didn't return a call, incompetent, whatever.

The last time he asked about who I would recommend for something, I gave him the phone book. When someone complains about advice or a recommendation, it leaves you in a position where you feel compelled to defend your choice. Lifes too short and I won't play that game anymore.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
You know when you give someone great advice, because you have been there and done that and they don't do what you told them to do but they still want to complain to you about the problem? Well from now on I am going to take back my advice.
Would someone lend me their magic wand so I can rewind and shut my mouth.
When they come back and complain, I simply smile smugly and say "You asked for advice, I gave it to you, you didn't follow it. See what happens?" :tape:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
This is my MIL to a tee, she constantly moans about every small thing, I gave up giving her advice ages ago, particularly about Labs, I've had them all my life, she got her first 3 years ago, but oh no she knew best, now she has the hound from hell and I just wanna say " I told you so!!"

There's just no helping some people, they have their own agendas from the word go.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have this problem with my mom...it infuriates me how I will tell her something and she will discount it...but a complete stranger can tell it to her and suddenly it is gospel. I may be half your age but sometimes I DO know what I am talking about!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts