Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom told me today that she was talking to my grandma. The one who calls me her "liberal hippy granddaughter" and doesent understand my anxiety and depression. Its really not her fault we're just from entirely differnt times and generations and I get that. But I guess she was telling my mom that my problems are because I read too much and am not in tune with reality :ugly:. She's getting this from a conversation we had back in the fall. I had mentioned that I love to read because it takes you two a whole other world. And im not the only know who thinks this way about reading. Well she jumped all over me that day saying that was a sick way of thinking and I should read to learn and not for entertainment. Lol so I held up my book and said "I am learning......Im learning about vampires".........Oooops lol.

I had actually totally forgot about the conversation until today. I just think its wild that she holds onto these random conversations to judge me on. Of course my mom defended me. Even my therapists says if I need to read to calm down then read. Its better than running off and cutting or purging.

Anyways has anyone ever told you you read way too much?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I believe you can never read too much. And yes it is a form of escapism, but if it keeps us sane, so what? Try not to be too hard on your Grandma, though. She just doesn't understand.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joflake said:
I believe you can never read too much. And yes it is a form of escapism, but if it keeps us sane, so what? Try not to be too hard on your Grandma, though. She just doesn't understand.
Lol so true. I write for the same reason too. Yeah I try to remind myself she doesent understand. She just can hold a grudge like no other.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I've been reading a ton latley too once you get into a book it's so hard to put it down. I read when I'm feeding Aubrey or pumping at work so that's a good 2 hours a day probably sometimes more. I'm going through a book every 2-3 days :surprise: Luckily mom had a huge selection she's read that I've been borrowing but I'm about out.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zoezoe said:
Do you work?
I babysit. But I had three different therapists reccomend I not be in a regular working situation until maybe spring because of how severe my social anxiety. So the technical answer would be no.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Why does her opinion matter so much to you? Not saying this to be argumentative or disparaging, but it sounds like you and your gram are polar opposites, and are never going to change.. so let it go. Smile, nod and change the subject if the contentious issues are raised.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
My friend thinks her daughter reads too much. She would rather read than interact with real people. Her social skills are not great and that is a problem. When she went to Homecoming (only by the urging of her Mom and my niece) she brought a book. Her Mom took her book and told her to meet new people and have some fun. So yes I think you can read too much. You need to interact with real people too.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Who GAS what she thinks? Ignore it. If you're happy and not totally anti-social and it brings you some pleasure, then who cares?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shouldn't care what she thinks. But in still healing mentally. And if i didn't atleast talk about it on here (sorry if all my venting it bugging anyone) I would obsess over it for days. I actually had forgotten until my mom told me what happened today. Meh I don't know. Like I said im still healing and im sorry if im annoying ;). I annoy myself all the time LOL.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
You're not annoying. I understand you're still healing which is what I'm getting at. Don't let other people's opinion sway you or knock you backwards.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I read constantly. Every night before bed, even if it's 2AM and I've been going at it all day. Just a paragraph or two. As a kid, when we'd go to the library, I was always at the limit for the # of books that could be taken at one time. And in waiting for my Mom to finish w/her selections, I could be counted on to sit cross-legged on the floor and start and finish one of the books I was intending to take home.

I agree that there's no substitute for getting out into the world (and would probably interevene, too, w/a kid bringing a book to a homecoming dance). But I'm not sure there's such a thing as reading 'too" much.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
labby said:
You're not annoying. I understand you're still healing which is what I'm getting at. Don't let other people's opinion sway you or knock you backwards.
Yeah I hear what your saying. Thanks :D.

Oh btw lol for the comment about dances. I went to ONE homecoming my freshmen year but didn't bring a book. Ugh I never went to anouther one. Anti social reasons or not that music is god awful lol. Im not a big one for encouraging public dancing either :laugh:. I even skipped my prom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts