Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without intentions, I went with a friend to get her dog from the pound, and came home with a City Lab.
This poor thing is in worst shape than I imagined.
I could see it had been ill kept. All bones, dandruff, just a terrible sight.
But that's not the worste of it. Most of the problems I'm experienced with and can take in stride.
But, there is one that's got me scratching my head. Paperwork from previous owner mentioned "crated 70% of time". I took that to mean something like 70% at night, or when someone was working, or something to that effect. I am now convinced it meant 70% of the dog's entire 2 years of life was in a crate!!!!!
Been raining and storming since I got it home until this afternoon. Whenever I let it out it cried, barked, and scratched at the door. However, it kept indicating it wanted to go out. Found this puzzling until I put some things together. I firmly believe this dog has never been outside alone! Found it would only "party" if it was on the leash!
Essentially, I have a 8 wk. old way oversized pup with a multitude of bad habits and experiences.
I expected a bit of a challenge, but this maybe a bit much.
Fortunately this dog is trying very hard to be co-operative ( a very big help, and says much for the animal). Several "issues" have almost been resolved already (very smart and eager to please).
But about this lack of outdoor experience makes me wonder. I work "off-leash" most often and a "bootlicker is against my grain & experience.
Controling range, recall, and all I'm used to, this is the direct oposite and trying to think of a "method".
If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Amazing for you to bring home this poor baby...and yea I guess I mean "baby" literally.
What name did you give "it"?...you dont say in your post.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I do not have experience in this but maybe this idea will work. When you take him/her out just drop the leash and act like your holding it. Let him/her get use to that feeling then start walking farther away from the dog and see the reaction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WeHeartLabs said:
Amazing for you to bring home this poor baby...and yea I guess I mean "baby" literally.
What name did you give "it"?...you dont say in your post.
By tradition, I always rename a dog when I've decided it's going to be kept. At the time of the original posting last night that issue was being scrutinized and the name not given.
Before bedtime it was determined "Boomer" seemed appropriate.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I think given some time the issue will resolve it's self when he feels more secure in your new environment. Good luck with boomer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Welcome riarcher and Boomer! Thank you for giving this poor pup a chance at a real life. :angel:

I think you will see great progress from this dog with time. It is just a matter of him feeling comfortable with you and building that trust. It takes a while for the scars of the past to be healed with love and affection. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Give the dog a week or two to relax and get into a routine. You can never tell what the dog is going to be like right after you pull it from the shelter. They are all nuts for a little while trying to figure out what's going on. This dog has had its entire routine ripped out from under him and turned upside down - he just needs a little time to adjust. He's probably scared to death.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trickster said:
So you have decided to keep the dog, correct? Yes, he's named to stay.

I work "off-leash" most often and a "bootlicker is against my grain & experience.
Could you expand on what you mean by this?

"Off-leash" means just that. Without a leash. But not "running at large" or uncontrolled or just loose in the neighborhood. While that's "off leash" too I guess, it's not controlled/supervised/structured.
I hunt, fish and woods walk (not a simple "walking in the woods" per se).
Very time consuming. As you may be able to extract, not very people oriented,, perhaps even "politicly incorrect" to some. Very "old school" in nature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By-the-way, In just 3 short (weather handicapped) days, the difference in this animal is immense!
Yup, I got me anouther keeper. ;D

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Off-leash" means just that. Without a leash. But not "running at large" or uncontrolled or just loose in the neighborhood. While that's "off leash" too I guess, it's not controlled/supervised/structured.
I hunt, fish and woods walk (not a simple "walking in the woods" per se).
Very time consuming. As you may be able to extract, not very people oriented,, perhaps even "politicly incorrect" to some. Very "old school" in nature.
It will be a while before the dog is reliable off leash. Based on what you described of his previous situation it sounds as though the poor guy didn't get much outdoor time so off leash walking is probably not in the near future. To achieve a reliable recall takes a lot of work. When you say you hunt, fish, etc., your plan is to bring the dog, correct? will you be planning on teaching him to hunt or will he be just tagging along? if your plan is to teach him to hunt then that will take even more work than off leash training -- years of it. ;)

I think for now, forgot about off leash. Give this dog a few weeks to settle. It can actually take months before they feel secure and comfortable with their new surroundings, depending on the dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts