Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tud and I collected scads of movies on tape. Yes... VCR material.
Today, since it is rainy and dreary and all my housework is done, I decided to pull out "Schindler's List". It's a 2 cassette job.

Good picture, clear, even after all these years. But YIKES! Rewinding the first cassette is taking nearly as long as the viewing of it was! I hope I'm still interested in seeing the 2nd part when it finishes its rewind!

(Yes, I have a DVD player but very few DVD movies.)

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Did you play the montage on your DVD? You could watch that again. : )

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
LOL, we've had a DVD player for years, in the living room, Rita and the kids always use it, I never watch movies in the living room, I watch them in my work room when I'm sewing. I bought me one of them New-Fangled things in OCT for my work room, man those are handy.:D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Nance, we have tons of VHS tapes. I bought a VRC/DVD player-recorder, thinking I could put put all those tape movies on DVDs.

Guess what? They are all copyrighted, and can't be copied! The machine won't do it. :mad: **** it, I paid for them, I just want to put them on a more convenient medium for storage.

Oh - we also have a separate rewinder thingy. ;)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad I persevered with the second part.
I had forgotten how shattering Schindler's story truly is. :( :(

(NOT the holocaust... Schindler's story itself.)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I'm glad I persevered with the second part.
I had forgotten how shattering Schindler's story truly is. :( :(

(NOT the holocaust... Schindler's story itself.)
Good movie, I watched it for the first time last week. BTW the DVD has a lot on him.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I was posting and I had a customer, meant it to be a wink as you needed the DVD to get the real interesting historical stuff. And then they didn't even buy any thing. Also a lot on the saved accounts of the survivors. Good stuff, if you know anyone who has the DVD borrow it one time for the info.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are some movies and documentaries only on VHS and not on dvd. The one that comes to mind is the documentary on the making of Apocalypse Now. Made by Coppola's wife. Just insane what happened making this movie. Then Brando showing up and being 100lbs overweight and totally ticking off Copola with his 'tude. "The Horror". Martin Sheen nearly dieing from a heart attack.

Just wait a few years and you will watch first run movies and new releases via your computer to your television. In its infant stages right now.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Tud and I collected scads of movies on tape. Yes... VCR material.
Today, since it is rainy and dreary and all my housework is done, I decided to pull out "Schindler's List". It's a 2 cassette job.

Good picture, clear, even after all these years. But YIKES! Rewinding the first cassette is taking nearly as long as the viewing of it was! I hope I'm still interested in seeing the 2nd part when it finishes its rewind!

(Yes, I have a DVD player but very few DVD movies.)
It took my wife and I moving 1000 miles to rid us of VHS tapes. We had a garage sale prior to moving and only had planned on selling the tapes we didn't want anymore. Well that plan fell apart as hordes of people were snapping then up! During the big blow out sale Lori went back in the house and got every VHS tape and sold it.

Anyway we still have a VCR and we have tapes of family events which we view from time to time. Someday I will transfer them to DVD, but for now, they are on a medium that is as old as the memories themselves.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way I can copy all those VHS movies I have onto DVDs? Could I transfer them to the computer, and then to a DVD? We cannot afford to replace them all, and there are quite a few we still watch and want to save.

Our old video camera used VHS tapes, and I could play a movie in the camera onto the TV, then tape it on another machine from the TV. I thought the VCR/DVD machine we got would work the same way and I could copy them that way, but this machine recognizes the copyrights and will not copy them.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way I can copy all those VHS movies I have onto DVDs? Could I transfer them to the computer, and then to a DVD? We cannot afford to replace them all, and there are quite a few we still watch and want to save.

Our old video camera used VHS tapes, and I could play a movie in the camera onto the TV, then tape it on another machine from the TV. I thought the VCR/DVD machine we got would work the same way and I could copy them that way, but this machine recognizes the copyrights and will not copy them.
I have gone "the buy it again on a different format" both with music and movies. I swear I've bought music on LP,then CD and then again via download. That's lot of royalties paid. LatelyI 've given up re-buying the same thing. I don't have the extra cash to do that anymore.

Since I don't make my living in the music or movie biz, I find it difficult to keep paying for entertainment that can be found on the radio or TV for free. I suppose if someone could duplicate how I earn my living and cut me out of the income I would be copyrighting my work too.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts

The short answer is yes.

You will need to buy a card to put in your PC that will accept the output from the VCR, three wire, and then save it to a file. At that point you will need a software program that will format it properly for the DVD palyer. I believe a program called DVD Fab Gold will do it. Then there are several programs that will decrypt the movie if they happen to be encrypted. A step beyond the standard copyright protection that most DVDs today employ to prevent copying. I suspect that is the real problem that you are running into and not the copyright.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have tons of vhs tapes too and some of the highlights of the kids are on them such as First Holy Communion. I really wish I could get them converted.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Capitalism baby! They want you to buy and buy and buy. The same stuff over and over and over.

Anyway, Nance, on my VCR player when I hit rewind once it winds slowly, hit the button again and it goes really fast. You might try that.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have tons of vhs tapes too and some of the highlights of the kids are on them such as First Holy Communion. I really wish I could get them converted.
A machine like I have, VCR/DVD player/recorder combo, will copy your home-made tapes onto DVDs for you. It's quick and works beautifully.

Ed, when I try to copy the VHS movies onto a DVD, a message pops up that says I am trying to make a copy of copyrighted material and it will not copy it.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
A machine like I have, VCR/DVD player/recorder combo, will copy your home-made tapes onto DVDs for you. It's quick and works beautifully.

Ed, when I try to copy the VHS movies onto a DVD, a message pops up that says I am trying to make a copy of copyrighted material and it will not copy it.
Thanks Jackie. I have some wonderful tapes and wondered what I could do.

Nancey I was clearing out stuff yesterday and found boxes of perfectly good VHS tapes. I thought what a shame so got out the video machine and watched one. Fingers crossed the video doesn't crap out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts