Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend and now I have no clothes. I sent 4 big trash bags worth of stuff to the Salvation Army. I have lost 37 pounds since July, so everything was too big. Shopping is a big PITA because styles out now are just fugly and I hate shopping.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss!

I hate shopping too. Recently I had to find a bathing suit... I decided it'd be less hassle and lot less stress to just order a bunch of swimsuits off Zappos, try them on at home, and return all but my favorite.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss! You should have fun shopping for new clothes now, althoug I understand what you mean about the styles.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What style of clothing do you prefer?
I guess you would call it traditional? Nothing too over-the-top, casual, but not sloppy. Don't want to look like a teenager, also don't want look like an old lady. I'm 53 and it's not easy finding suitable styles.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What program did you use to lose weight? I am curious.
I started walking. I walk 6 days a week, close to 2 miles, very briskly, taking Sundays off. I cut way back on carbs, ate more protein, more veggies. I also don't deprive myself. If I want ice cream, I get those teeny Ben and Jerry things. My biggest weakness was chips. I could eat a whole bag in a day or two. Now if I get a craving, I just buy the 99-cent bag, eat it slowly. Eating slow is key. I have protein for breakfast, keeps me satisfied longer. I eat at least 5 times a day small portions. I found that once I starting doing without, i.e. chips, candy, etc., you don't crave them. I drink lots of water. I still have coffee and still have sugar (organic - less calories) in my coffee. I don't do fat free stuff or low-fat cheeses (higher in sodium), don't do diet drinks - can't stand the after taste. I drink a lot of water. I was able to stop 2 of my BP meds.

I think before you start any "program," you have to be dead serious about wanting to do something about your weight. I hated the way I looked and I never want to go back. I used to be thin all my life and then over the years, put on pounds.

Wednesday night I start Pilates through our Parks and Recreation, need to get rid of my "jiggly bits."

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I guess you would call it traditional? Nothing too over-the-top, casual, but not sloppy. Don't want to look like a teenager, also don't want look like an old lady. I'm 53 and it's not easy finding suitable styles.
I'm the same age as you and I have the same problem. No way am I going to start wearing old lady clothes, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to look twentysomething either. It's hard. Of course, when I'm an old lady, I won't wear old lady clothes then either.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I started walking. I walk 6 days a week, close to 2 miles, very briskly, taking Sundays off. I cut way back on carbs, ate more protein, more veggies. I also don't deprive myself. If I want ice cream, I get those teeny Ben and Jerry things. My biggest weakness was chips. I could eat a whole bag in a day or two. Now if I get a craving, I just buy the 99-cent bag, eat it slowly. Eating slow is key. I have protein for breakfast, keeps me satisfied longer. I eat at least 5 times a day small portions. I found that once I starting doing without, i.e. chips, candy, etc., you don't crave them. I drink lots of water. I still have coffee and still have sugar (organic - less calories) in my coffee. I don't do fat free stuff or low-fat cheeses (higher in sodium), don't do diet drinks - can't stand the after taste. I drink a lot of water. I was able to stop 2 of my BP meds.

I think before you start any "program," you have to be dead serious about wanting to do something about your weight. I hated the way I looked and I never want to go back. I used to be thin all my life and then over the years, put on pounds.

Wednesday night I start Pilates through our Parks and Recreation, need to get rid of my "jiggly bits."
AWESOME..thanks !!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Betsy, have you tried Kohls?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
My SIL is 53, she buys lots of stuff at Ann Taylor (they have a great outlet store near us) or Coldwater Creek. Ann Taylor Loft is the more casual stuff. She always looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My SIL is 53, she buys lots of stuff at Ann Taylor (they have a great outlet store near us) or Coldwater Creek. Ann Taylor Loft is the more casual stuff. She always looks really nice.
I have a big problem spending $$$ on clothes and they are way out of my price range, even with sale stuff, looked there this weekend, also.

I work at home, so I don't need work clothes. I just want to look decent when I leave the house.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Congratulations! I agree about the clothes. I'm 61 and and just don't want to dress like a grandma! It's sad when I have some extra money and want to buy a new outfit and can't find anything. I use to buy most of my clothes at JC Penney, but lately their stuff just doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I like Talbots for conservative clothing. Also Coldwater Creek has some pretty stuff...if you stay away from the over appliqued/super florally stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts