Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it was worth EVERY STINKING PENNY. I hired a team of cleaners to come in and clean from top to bottom. EVERYTHING! The house was completely picked up.... we just cleaned and scrubbed everything. There was a team of 4 gals, plus myself and it took us 4 hours to do 1780 sq ft. Not a lot of sq ftg.. so that might give you an idea of just how much went into it. I am having them come in every two weeks @ $123.00.

I am as excited and jittery (in a good way) as I was when I bought my home. This is such a God send.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
We do that in early Nov. Then I have someone come every other week. She only charges $75 for 4 hours but she brings her now 3 year old son. She goes to the church my parents do and has been doing this since she was pregnant. They love it and always take her son to the park or something. So she get paid $75 plus childcare.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Isn't that a nice feeling having a clean house top to bottom? When my kids were smaller I too had a cleaning person come every other week. I figured paying them was worth so much more than being on my hands and knees cleaning when I could spend the time with my kids instead! Enjoy your found "free time"!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I've been dying to do this, especially since the babies were born. You really felt like it was worth it? I was frightened by the high initial cost (slightly larger sq ft) and so I chickened out with the company that came and gave the first estimate. I never got a competing bid because I chickened.

Based on your report, I should just do it. Everyone I know that's had it done says it's so worth it, and I was just as hesitant about hiring a landscaper but that turned out to be awesome. It's just going to be so weird to have a stranger come in and scrub my house! It'd be soo nice to get the stuff done that I can never get to; like cleaning the window panes.

Thanks for the recommendation!

·
0 Posts
We used to do the same thing in our townhouse in VA. We had them come in every other week - it was well worth the price!!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WAS IT WORTH IT? You bet.

I too have been hesitant because of the initial cost. My excitement is beyond compare. I am so excited that I am almost scared the other shoe is going to drop somewhere. I will probably abuse my children if they mess anything up. I love it that much! They have been fairly warned though. :laugh:

I have a WHOLE ASS LOAD of laundry that needs to be done, but I am okay with that. We tossed it all out into the garage. I figure with everything clean.... and knowing that my house will be cleaned again in 2 weeks, I can focus on laundry and my daily chores.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I so want to do this... I just do not have the energy or ability to scrub these days, and while DH is good with cleaning his areas once in a blue moon he's certainly not picking up my slack, and the house is a big dust ball. It drives me nuts. I just don't think I can convince him to spend the moolah right now.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Oh boy did they clean the girls rooms!? :eek: I bet they took extra charge for that! It must have took them a couple of hours each ;)

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Okay, I have to ask, What did they do differently the first time than they will every other time? Was this a wash the walls, clean the windows kind of clean?

I got a cleaning lady when I was five months pregnant with baby #5. I just could not manage, I seriously don't know how people do it. Unfortunately she is from Poland and doesn't speak a lot of English so when she does weird stuff it's hard to tell her how to do it differently. Believe me though, it's still well worth it!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Good questions Cinder's!!

Shanna said:
WAS IT WORTH IT? You bet.

I too have been hesitant because of the initial cost. My excitement is beyond compare. I am so excited that I am almost scared the other shoe is going to drop somewhere. I will probably abuse my children if they mess anything up. I love it that much! They have been fairly warned though. :laugh:

I have a WHOLE ASS LOAD of laundry that needs to be done, but I am okay with that. We tossed it all out into the garage. I figure with everything clean.... and knowing that my house will be cleaned again in 2 weeks, I can focus on laundry and my daily chores.
THIS sounds like heaven (how pathetically Mom-a-fied is MY life that this qualifies as heaven???)! I'm doing it!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Normally during tax season I have someone come in and do mine. I did not this year, because the person I had been using last year was such a fiasco (broken vacuum at least 3x, one time irreperably, broken items in the house, increasingly shoddy job and lied about how much time she was taking).

My house shows it though. It is now at least in decent shape after 2 full days of moving piles and putting things away - at least now I can get down and clean ----after April 17th.

Next year I will find someone again. The house was just disgusting.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I was going to ask people if they go with a service, or an individual. I'm getting a bid from a service, but I might check it against individuals too...but not if it's going to save me money upfront, but cost in repairs and broken stuff!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Oh man how I would give anything to have someone else come
in a clean my house. I clean, but its so hard working full time and
taking care of a 1 year old. I don't find a lot of time....sigh...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I keep my own house clean. I could afford to pay but I would rather sock it away in mutal funds. Those services charge way too much - you are paying for their advertising. If I need someone, I just ask for neighbor recommendations and then I know they are careful as well as good cleaners.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I love the idea of it, but I have an unnatural fear of strangers in my house, lol It's the same reason I took over the yard work when hubby started getting deployed all the time. It would have been so much easier to pay someone $35/wk (going rate around here) to mow, weedeat, etc... but nope...I had to do it myself, which was hard when the boys were younger. Darn irrational fears. :/ Oh well, at least I've learned to become real handy around the house in the process, lol

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
We used to have someone come every two weeks. It was wonderful to walk in to a sparkling house. SU wanted to start doing it ourselves again, and that's not working out too well (we both work a lot). It's just the two of us (plus dogs).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts