Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have agreed to foster a dog starting tomorrow with one of our local lab rescues. Excited but nervous. She is a sweet mellow one year old (?) who may not be great at housetraining or crate trained. I have a big crate but have not trained any dog in 12 years. My memory is poor! They said she did not mess up a crate they transferred her in and she seems well cared for - not skinny or nervous.
Any helpful hints to get me off to a good start with this sweet girl?:)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely get her used to the crate immediately. Make sure she's in it any time you can't be watching her, just like a puppy. Give her treats in it, make it a good place to be, and she'll get used to it quickly. Go slow, let her 'feel you out' and realize that you are a friend. She's been through a lot already and will be confused for a while. She may be on her best behavior for the first couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
good for you!!! ADS or Atl Lab Rescue?

go with the crate when you can't watch her and are away and especially for he first few nights until you see if she is housetrained. lots of luck and THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ADS. I knew you would be pleased, Sandy! Do you know the ADS people? They are really a nice group.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
yes, i know the founder; tony. she did my paperwork when i adopted dutch from Georgia Lab Rescue. i also know karen and kristin; the other founders; we all were together with GLR before it split. and cathy foster; she adopted ginger, one of my fosters, and now does some fostering for ADS.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Aw thank you for fostering! :) I'm involved w/ the local dog rescue group around here and love it. I wish I could foster but my apartment is strict with the number of dogs you can have at one time. I do everything else though!

Well if she's maybe housetrained, but maybe not, I would have her in the crate when you can't be there and when you are home, have her attached to you with a leash whenever possible. That way if she tries to go inside, you can correct her and get her outside immediately.

Good luck and post some pictures!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts