Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my best friend's boyfriends just contacted a few of us to get help proposing :D He really wants to involve her friends and family, but I think he'd be open to changing his mind too.

He wanted to do something at our school - but she's really a more private person. We've talked a few times about cute engagement ideas (just being girly) and all guffawed at the "halftime proposal" (no offense, just not for us).

The only real idea we've come up with so far is renting a private room at a a restaurant and proposing over a private romantic dinner, then having all her friends show up after for champagne and a surprise engagement party. (There are lots of little restaurants in Philly that would do this).

Anyone else have great ideas or stories to share?? They're both birdwatchers, she's a vet student and he's an ecologist. They enjoy cooking and baking and the art museum as well.

TIA :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
No real ideas here. Just wanted to say that I can't imagine wanting a bunch of people, even great friends and family, around in the time just after you get engaged. That time was really special and a lot of personal things were said and I wouldn't have wanted anybody else around.

Maybe she'd be fine with it, but if she's a pretty private person then I'd be pretty careful about making it a production. There aren't any do-overs.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Well I dunno about the little restaurant idea, especially if she's a private person. What happens if she said no and then all those people were there? I'm not saying she would, but it would horrible if she did say no!

In my opinion, if they both like to cook, I think he should make her a romantic dinner at home and pop the question there. I would like that a lot more than going out anywhere. ;)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Well private people just don't want to be gawked at by strangers. They don't typically mind being around all their buddies. :)

I think the restaurant plan sounds great! I would have totally loved that!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies :) Do you think giving them time to eat dinner alone and then just her very closest friends and maybe her brothers there for dessert? Or is that still too soon for those who thought it was too public?

Also, I forgot to include: she already said yes - they have the whole wedding planned due to our school schedule - he just wanted to make her proposal really special since they kind of skipped it. Their phone convo went like this: "So I think we should get married this August since it's your last chance before starting clinics." "Good idea, I'll call the caterer and tent people." And then they started that before he had her ring made.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I think dinner and friends later would be wonderful. I would have the server/chef put the ring on her plate as a garnish....
I changed my mind.. now that i know more info, i think the dinner and friends after would be nice!

I think if you did that, you could go somewhere that's nice and fancy and have the ring as part of the dessert... not IN the dessert, but as garnish.. that would be nice!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Well that was a pretty big piece of information to leave out! I think having the restaurant party set-up would be pretty neat in that case.

I must say that personally I would have loved the jumbo-tron halftime proposal. I'm kind of a sucker for that.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that was a pretty big piece of information to leave out! I think having the restaurant party set-up would be pretty neat in that case.

I must say that personally I would have loved the jumbo-tron halftime proposal. I'm kind of a sucker for that.
:p Yeah I did forget the most important part - this is a definite "yes" situation!

My good friend from high school would love nothing more than to be proposed to during a 76ers game LOL. Not for me, but I think it's adorable when someone knows their GF would like that and does it for them!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestions - Have friends invite the couple to a scavenger hunt where the last item she finds is a box with the ring inside. You could have a small get together with the friends in cahotes reagrding the ring.

Have friends plan an Easter Egg Hunt using plastic eggs. Host has this big basket all decorated on display for someone to win. The groom could have an egg in his pocket with the winning ticket in it. Do the egg hunt. People open their eggs. She has the one with the winning number which the groom stuck in her basket that he supposedly found. She claims the big prize opens it and finds the ring.

Do you have a skyscraper where they could go to the top and look through telescopes. Have a sign with the proposal posted in a window that she would find. Or have friends all down below holding up a giant sign with the proposal on it. She could spot with the telescope. Afterwards have a small intimate party in the restaurant located in the building if there is one. Friends can gather there in the restaurant.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think pbc needs to start a little business coming up with great ideas. Every single one of those would be an unforgettable way to get engaged.

Makes me wish I'd married somebody with an imagination.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think pbc needs to start a little business coming up with great ideas. Every single one of those would be an unforgettable way to get engaged.

Makes me wish I'd married somebody with an imagination.
Agreed!! pbc those are awesome!!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
What my DH did was gave me a small basket of beautiful flowers, and in the flowers he had the ring. When I found it, he got down on a knee and did the whole will you marry me and make my life a living hell er I mean make my life complete thing and of course I said YES!!! I knew we were getting engaged, we had been out ring shopping but I had no clue as to which ring or when. The idea of doing it at a restaurant, privately, dining then having friends join is sounds perfect!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
How romantic *sigh* I loved how Dave proposed to Sarah *sigh again* My dh proposed to me in his bedroom and told me 3 weeks b4 he was gonna do it lol

and just what were you doing in his bedroom before you got married young lady??!!~lol:D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
LOL Karen I am with Kate - what shenannigans were u up to beforehand?

And FWIW - I loved the way Dave proposed to me too. *sigh* I can't believe it's been almost 4 months already since the proposal!! Goes so fast.

And as for the original question, the dinner/surprise engagement party idea sounds AWESOME! I would so have loved my engagement party to be organised FOR me so all I had to do was organise my wedding! It's gorgeous and spectacular and I think he should go for it!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts