Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad:I just can't figure out why my brother in law dislikes my Gracie. I don't understand how someone can ignore a happy, tail wagging, happy jumping ( ok..she shouldn't jump) dog. My brother in law has 2 labs...who are great dogs even with the little attention I feel they get. They are not allowed in the house and he does not give them much time at all. I go over w Gracie and play with them...they are so loveable. Well anyway, on to my rant. Gracie always runs to him and he always pushes her away...no petting, no hello..nothing and she just doesn't get it, maybe because she is showered with love and attention from everyone else I know. So today again she runs over to him and he keeps pushing her away and then he said she was ugly and didn't even look like a real lab...he always say's I got ripped off, he doesn't think she is a purebred lab because her ears fold. This is an argument we have all the time. I have all her papers and I wouldn't care anyway, she is a loveable, crazy happy dog and I love her. How can someone be so mean to my girl:(...I feel better now that i vented..thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Some people are just not "dog" people. I'm sorry he treats your pup like that. I think I'd keep her away from him. He doesn't sound like a very friendly guy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He's probably just jealous you have such a beautiful dog! Or maybe jealous of your bond. I would not feed into his negativity but I would remind him she is a part of your family and if he cannot be nice to her maybe he should keep his distance. BTW, I think she looks 100% lab!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I see him in the yard I call Gracie in because I feel so bad...she looks so sad when he doesn't acknowledge her or he does but in a negative way ( don't get me wrong...he would never physically hurt her)...but her feelings get hurt I think. I am just an animal person..I love all animals, I just don't understand how you couldn't love them. Takes all kinds I guess....I am glad I am not one of his kind

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My sister isn't a dog person, and does the same thing to Bauer (except she has never said he was ugly, I might have to hit her if she did). Bauer loves visitors and for the first few minutes someone comes in, he wants their attention. She constantly pulls her hands away and gets jumpy (like she thinks he is going to bite her). I find it comical, because she acts so stupid. It probably doesn't help that the last time she was here my DH said, "Get her Bauer." Not that he knows what that means, but it scared the crap out of my sister. :D

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
My Lexi is the same way, the love me, pet me, pay attention to me, when she first gets somewhere or someone first arrives at our house. She settles down after a few minutes & everything is good.

As for your brother-in-law... he is a jackass! FWIW, I think Gracie is a gorgeous example of a labrador.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
One of my SILs is kind of like that. Dogs should not be in the house. Doesn't like them coming over to say hello. They recently moved back into town and invited us over. DD called while we were on our way, and said that he didn't want the dog coming over. Told DD that I would drop her Mom off, and come back to pick her up when she was ready. If HK wasn't welcome, I felt I wasn't welcome.

DD and SIL were outside when we got there. Nothing was said, but SIL made sure that he took HK all around the porperty and then intot he house for a free exploration of the place. We all stayed, and have been welcomed with HK every time.

I do not know what transpired in the 10 minutes between the phone call and our arrival, but I don't think it was pretty.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Sadly, there are a lot of people who see dogs as inferior, possessions, or "just dumb animals". Sounds like your BIL is in that camp.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'd simply tell him if he doesn't treat her better, he's not welcome at your house. Your house, your rules. Mean to me, or worse, mean to my dogs and he'd get two pieces of my mind. Tell him to buck up or stay the heck away. If it bothers you, let him know.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'd simply tell him if he doesn't treat her better, he's not welcome at your house. Your house, your rules. Mean to me, or worse, mean to my dogs and he'd get two pieces of my mind. Tell him to buck up or stay the heck away. If it bothers you, let him know.
This. My house, my rules, if not like, get out.

Reminds me of a time several friends stopped by backwhen I lived in Memphis. Tal was about 5 months old and one "friend" said get that dog out of here (Tal had not even gotten close to the guy at that point) because he didn't like dogs and didn't want Tal in the room. Ya know, if he had been a little nicer, I would have leashed Tal at least (he wasn't even misbehaving) and just said, hey, he lives here and no one is forcing you to stay.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
There is no excuse for someone being rude like that to your dog. Especially since he has 2 of his own (poor things). I wouldn't tolerate it. Just like everyone else says, my house, my rules.

On the other hand, my dad won't come over because I have to big G*# D#%#@ dogs. My girls have always been sweet to him, and never jumped up or bit or anything. He just doesn't like them because they are too big and why he can't see what sweethearts they are I'll never know. Oh wait, he isn't around them enough to know that. Idiots. Both of them.:mad:

·
Registered
456 Posts
How a human treats a dog says a lot about the person. I hate when people treat animals this way, it honestly breaks my heart. The most innocent purest love i've experienced has been with dogs. ANYWAY i can rant on and on...

I would just keep Gracie away from him, or better yet, keep him away from gracie. stick him in a room, a crate, whatever.:D

gracie is 200% lab and beautiful by the way!!!

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Some people are just not "dog" people. I'm sorry he treats your pup like that. I think I'd keep her away from him. He doesn't sound like a very friendly guy.
I agree. Even people who have animals on their own, aren't animal people. My own sister is like that. Just don't get things like we do.

Saying Gracie is u**y (can't even say it) and things like that sounds like he's having a problem. Actually sounds like he's jealous. Probably because he sees you are having a very strong bound to your pups, and he has not.

OH and Gracie is a very pretty girl.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Reminds me of my ex, the CPA. When we met I had a house and a dog. Jake was a flat coat retriever and just about the best dog in the world. He had the run of the house and while she never said anything about it, she was obvously not a dog lover.

We decided to buy a house together and after the closing I'm informed that Jake is not welcome in "our" house. As luck would have it, I was able to fix him up with his own room in the basement and he and I hung out on the back porch a lot. He also started going to work with me when I became self employed in remodeling.

I wish I had it to do over. Jake was a heck of a lot more loyal and loving than she was. "You're As Cold As Ice" comes to mind. I think non-dog lovers should be sorted out in the first grade and be given their own country.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts