Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I don't know how. Someone help me.. I am soooo tired.

She doesn't start up on the bed, she waits until we're asleep. So, we can't catch her and tell her 'OFF!' I try, but I'm half asleep when I notice her (usually because she's shoved her leg in my back or stepped on me) and I do it half-assed and give up, roll over and try to go back to sleep.

I'm up 3 or 4 times a night. I'm sore all over because she doesn't give me any space and I'm all contorted. I have a bruise on my leg right now where she stepped on me...

WAH!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If you wake up and she is on the bed, make her get off. Eventually she'll get the message. I am very violent sleeper...Teddy sleeps on Denny's side. I have no problem nudging him off if he annoys me! My little ones curl up against me and don't bother me as much.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you try to push her off the bed, she lifts her head, looks at you and then lays back down. I swear she somehow weighs 300 pounds in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Make her get off. She knows you won't force the issue, that's why she is ignoring you. Don't give up - and if necessary, shut the bedroom door.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not shutting the bedroom door. Non-negotiable.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Well, if you won't shut the door, keep booting her off, and it may take a few nights, but she'll get it. You'll just have to be uber-consistent and get her off the bed every single time. This may mean a lot of disturbed sleep for you for a few evenings, especially since you have to physically remove her, but for the greater good. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Take her collar and get her off if she won't budge. Believe me, she will get the message.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
the ex and i had this problem with dutch. he wouldn't even sleep at the foot of the bed, he had to be right up against me; in-between us. i'd haul him off....10 minutes later...jump. haul; jump; haul; jump. we discussed doing what stacey did; getting a king sized bed. eventually the problem worked itself out as i got rid of the husband and dutch now has his own entire side of the bed. LOL

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you can't shut your door, what about baby-gating it? Or crating her at nighttime?

You're in for a few sleepless weeks where you train her to sleep on the floor.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
(1) I agree with Garth, but..

It won't solve the problem, the dog will follow you.

(1) The dog loves you and want to be close. Why are you being so unfriendly?
(2) Show the dog you love her also. When she comes up on the bed, get her up where you can put an arm around her and hug. Likely will find that is more closeness that she wants and she will exit.
(3) Take some sleeping pills and you won't even notice when she is sleeping on top of you. Not the stuff MJ took though, we do want you to wake up in the morning.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not being unfriendly. I need sleep. If she would sleep peacefully, we wouldn't have a problem. That's how this whole thing started - she slept in a tiny ball at the foot of the bed and everyone was happy.

I don't want to kick her out of the bedroom because 1. her crate is in our room and 2. I don't want her to be isolated during thunderstorms because she is scared of them.

She can only be in the crate with the door open. Readers that were around last year may remember our problems, but long story short, Kacey likes her crate only if she can get out of it.

The problem with being consistent in booting her out of bed is that last night I didn't notice her in the bed. She didn't wake me up.

I think I'm just screwed. =)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Okay 'lissa.. off to the mattress store for you.. time for that california king you never wanted!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Same problem here with Frankie. He likes to sleep on my side, or inbetween us and he's like a brick shithouse when he sleeps. Our room isn't big enough for a king, and we can't shut the door either. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts