Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully the last update:

Well - he has leveled off, so the vet says that today is his last day of IV's. Yea!

Thanks again for all of the support - it has helped so much. I'm at work so I have to run. More later.

********************************************************************************************

Update in post #39 - Keep up the prayers and good thoughts. I just got the call from the vet and it was not what I wanted to hear. His levels are up although not by a lot, but the concern is that they are rising. I believe it is his creatin(?) level and it is up to 2.9 this morning (normal is .5 - 1.8, I believe). He is at the vets for the whole day on IV's. Boy I bet that he is thrilled. I'll keep you posted. I guess that this will take awhile.

And thanks again for your support. I really need it and I appreciate it more than you know.

I just spoke to the vet - although he is still sick, we're probably not looking at permanent kidney damage, thank goodness. And the thing that they test the blood for is his creatinine level. (I had that wrong earlier).

*********************************************************************************************

I know this really belongs in lab chat, but I only lurk here, so...if I could please have some prayers/good thoughts for Buddy aka, the buttbutt, I would sure appreciate it. Here's the whole story if you want to read it.

My middle daughter flew home from Washington yesterday after an interview to be a guide on Mount Rainier. She dropped her carry-on bag next to the front door, then we all went out for an early dinner to celebrate her birthday. Before we left I scanned the house - all horizontal surfaces were clean, the kitchen chairs were pushed up against the pantry doors (Buddy figured out how to open those recently), all of the doors to any other room in the house were closed. I thought that we were safe. I also had the girls feed the dogs before we left. We spent a couple of hours at a nice restaurant on San Diego Bay, saw a cruise ship sail away, and had seals swimming next to us. It was just lovely.

We came home around 6:30 to a small mess in the middle of the living room floor. Mostly torn up paper, but I found the remnants of a small ziplock bag and one bright orange pill. Clearly Motrin. It turns out that it was from my daughter's carry on, and there were approximately 20 motrins in there. Were being the operative word, because there was just one now.

He spent last night in the emergency vets, and we've been back to our regular vet twice today. Mia's blood work is normal so she didn't ingest any, but Buddy's kidney something level is 2.4 which is elevated. We'll really have a better idea if we are out of the woods tomorrow. He isn't eating, but is peeing and trying to poop. I'm pretty scared. (I'll deal with "mad at my daughter who knows better" and "how are we going to pay for this" later). He's been on IV fluids, and the last visit was for subcutaneous fluids. We go bakd to redo bloodwork at 8 tomorrow. Until then I just watch my crazy boy sleep, clearly uncomfortable.

I'm always amazed at the power of JL, and this time I could really use some.

Thanks so much.

Katherine

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers headed your way!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Oh my. Sending lots of good thoughts for Buddy. I'll be looking for your post tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
You got my prayers. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Hi Katherine - I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy. Gosh these dogs just never learn - sending my good thoughts that his levels come down and he is just fine. Will keep a look out for good update.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.