Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darbi has a big birthday party thingy to go to today. It's one of her best little friends, Brooklyn.....who is a precious little black girl. I know that Brooklyn loves ANYTHING Bratz. So Darbi picked out this little Bratz magic hair salon shop for her.
Here's where I'm a little nervous......it comes with a white doll. Is this a big deal? Please don't turn this into a racist type post because it's anything but. I'm just trying to figure out if the white doll is ok or not.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
My youngest sister is black (age 11). She has mostly African American barbies and such, but that is because that is what my mom buys her. She couldn't care less if the doll is white, though. (Unfortunately, she has said that she actually prefers white doll because she thinks they are prettier :( ). I don't know if my experience applies completely, though, because my sister is being raised as an African American child in a white household. My mom is pretty sensitive about stuff like this and makes a concerted effort to make sure my sister has dolls that "look like her" (color wise), but, as I just mentioned, my sister doesn't really care.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Momma to J and A said:
My youngest sister is black (age 11). She has mostly African American barbies and such, but that is because that is what my mom buys her. She couldn't care less if the doll is white, though. (Unfortunately, she has said that she actually prefers white doll because she thinks they are prettier :( ). I don't know if my experience applies completely, though, because my sister is being raised as an African American child in a white household. My mom is pretty sensitive about stuff like this and makes a concerted effort to make sure my sister has dolls that "look like her" (color wise), but, as I just mentioned, my sister doesn't really care.
Jenn...I really appreciate your input. Thank you. This was my first time to shop for a black child.....and the first time for me to see the lack of options available. :-\

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My best friend is black and has 3 little girls, 8,9,10 they also love BRATZ. The best one if you listen to them is the BRATZ head hair doll. They just love her! I'm sure Brooklyn will love the gift!

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mama3tikes said:
My best friend is black and has 3 little girls, 8,9,10 they also love BRATZ. The best one if you listen to them is the BRATZ head hair doll. They just love her! I'm sure Brooklyn will love the gift!
Ok...whew! I hope you're right! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I though about this some more...

This is your daughter's best friend and your daughter picked out what she deems to be the perfect gift. I'm trying to remember...Darbie is like, six year old? If this is the gift she thinks her friend will like, go with it. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
My daughter is Asian and has and loves all the Bratz...black, white, hispanic and Asian...doesn't matter one bit to her.
Her favorite is Chloe because she has yellow hair ::)

Nice of you to be so sensitive and care one way or another.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Momma to J and A said:
I though about this some more...

This is your daughter's best friend and your daughter picked out what she deems to be the perfect gift. I'm trying to remember...Darbie is like, six year old? If this is the gift she thinks her friend will like, go with it. :)
Right....Darbi is 7 and Brooklyn is turning 9. We were trying to find something Bratz that Brook didn't already have and Darbi was certain that she didn't have the magic hair salon. And every single magic hair salon came
with a white doll with blonde hair.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Charla said:
And every single magic hair salon came
with a white doll with blonde hair.
It was so frusterating trying to buy for my sister when she was younger. As I said, she didn't really care, but it was important to my mom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts