Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the story. my neighbors got a lab puppy a while ago and they started tying it up outside and it was barking and we had to call city hall on it once for barking at 630 in the morning and waking us up. well today it was lose and digging in our trash it was starving and i gave it some food. I later let it in the house cuz it was chasing this old guy trying to walk with his own dog past the house. well when i finally got a hold of the neighbor on the phone she preceded to tell me she sprained her ancle and would not be coming over here to get her dog. and then she told me she was trying to find it a new home i asked why she said it was to hyper. she then told me to keep it and to have good luck with it cuz its name was rowdy for a reason. well needless to say i will not kick this dog back out in the rain and cold so i need to know how to get it to calm down. i have 2 other dogs smaller a pomeranian and a yorkie and my yorkie is still a puppy and is very small. and its a girl so every time this lab gets near it it starts humping everything. im going to call the vet tomorow and see about getting him fixed but i need help now. i have no idea what im gonna do with him for tonight. i have a crate that is the right size for him i had for a previous dog and he will not go into and and when he does he barks. i was hoping to get him to sleep in it for the night so he doesnt tear up my house. i need help some help me!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Give him a lot of exercise and really wear him out. When he is tired, he won't mind the crate so much. He can sleep here for the night. Tomorrow morning, call your local lab rescue.

You are an angel for taking him in. I hope you can keep him for another day or two until your lab rescue can pick him up. They will probably require your neighbor to sign a surrendor form.

If you can avoid it, please don't take him to a shelter. Your lab rescue is a much better place for him.

Hang in there and thanks for watching out for this little guy.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Get your neighbour to sign a transfer of ownership form. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a bill of sale with two signatures. Cover thy butt.

Then exercise him as much as you can tonight. Take him for a long walk or run(assuming he's old enough to have all his shots, and can walk on a leash). Alternately, play ball with him in the back yard. Watch him with your baby yorkie, even in play a lab can easily injure a toy dog.

For tonight, just do the best you can with the crate - do you have a kong or a hollow bone that you can stuff with peanut butter or yogurt?

You might want to read "our best advice" in the puppy/training section as well.

best of luck, and thanks for taking this guy in!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Hi there :) Thanks so much for taking the little guy in - where are you located? That can help us help you find a rescue for the puppy. He will whine in the crate, you can try moving it closer to your bed so he can smell you, that helps a lot of puppies it seems - but if he's never been in one before you might just be in for a long night of whining. Depending on how old it is, the puppy will probably have to potty sometime tonight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
umm i dont think there is a lab rescue in my area. i live in a very small town in missouri. there isnt even a humane society or a animal shelter in my county that i know of. I feel sorry for him and id keep him if he would calm down a little. im not very big of a person and this dog is a puppy and out weighs me. i just dont know what to do with him. i had a lab mix once who wasnt near this hyper and she would sleep in her crate at night. she was a chewer. so she couldnt be trusted out at night. he just wont go in there tho. does fixing them get to calm down any. ive heard that it does and id be willing to give it a try tho.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Thanks for taking him in. I can't believe that owner. Why woul dshe just say keep it I am not coming over. :eek: Hopefully you can calm him down and get him in the crate. How old do you think he is? I don't have any advice to offer besides wear his butt out. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Great posts from kaytris and MumtoEllie. The only thing I would add is that he's probably not housetrained if he's just been tied up outside, so do be careful with him if you have carpet. You're going to need to be prepared to clean up after him. Do you have any Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner? If not, you might need to get some first thing tomorrow.

For tonight, it might not be easy to get him in the crate. As kaytris suggested, a stuffed Kong could be your best bet. If he's panicky around the crate, put food in there, let him go in, and while he's eating it, shut the door. Then after 30 seconds open the door and let him out. Do that a few times, and then see if you keep the door closed for a little longer. Even with your best efforts, he may howl. This is very painful but normal. Just ignore it as best you can.

Good luck! Bless you for taking him in.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
SW Missouri:
http://www.carerescue.org/

Humane Society Page (has vets listed also that might be able to help)
http://www.hsmo.org/m_aboutus/locations.php

List of Rescues throughout Missouri:
http://muttcats.com/shelters/missouri.htm

This group might have contacts out in your area as well:
http://www.caretakersnetwork.org/contact.htm

Even if these groups are not near you, they might have volunteers near you who could assist with transport if you feel the dog isn't the right fit for your lifestyle/other dogs. They might know of rescues in your area that you haven't heard of as well. Hopefully one of the people on this board that is involved in rescues will see this soon - they should have some good advice to share with you.

G

·
Sounds like you are planning on keeping it if you are thinking about getting him fixed. Thats generous of taking him in, escpecially a hyper dog like a lab. Any idea how old he is? I hear they calm down after a year or so, although I wouldnt know mine just hit 6 months. It will take alot to calm him down, and probably even more to train him if he is used to just doing whatever he wants, running free, getting into garbage and whatnot. If you want get rid of him, try telling people you know, they will tell one and so one. Maybe an ad in the paper or online, and just be honest how you got him. I am sure someone will want to take him. Poor guy just needs somone to look after him. Teach him the ropes. Good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going insane over here i called one lady who was still open and shes not in my area and she wouldnt give me any advice. i had to let him outside cuz him and my yorkie cant be together and my yorkie was shut in teh bed room and would quit barking she was gonna wake my 2 year old. i dont knw what to do hes still on my porch i dont want to leave him outside over night but im not gonna have much choice ive got a almost 3 year old sleeping and im high risk pregnancy and he was starting to jump on me. :(

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Sounds like you got good advise here - I think your best bet is crating him for the night. As Nathan mentioned - put some food in there. Let him out in a short while. He may cry - it's okay....not the end of the world. Worse for you, than him. Try not to make him feel so isolated in the crate; keep it in a somewhat central location, possibly where he can hear your voice. When it's bedtime, lure him in with something really yummy - leftover bite of chicken or hotdog. Leave some sort of a chew toy with him, in case he's stressed.

Definitely contact one of the rescues provided tomorrow morning - sounds like you've got your hands full with a new Yorkie pup. I'd hate to have the Lab possibly hurt her/him unintentionally.

Bless you for taking him.....and yes, have the neighbors sign something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that the pup has been out and pottied, try putting some food treat in the kennel/pen. Give him an old towel or blankie, and cover the pen if you can. Covering the pen can give him the feeling of more security, like being under a mommy. Can you put the pen by your bed so you can hang your hand out of your bed so he can nuzzle up to it? Here's a prayer for your loving generosity and that pup can live with you until morning. Then someone can get it if you can't. I, too, live with a Yorkie and a lab. They can't be alone in the same room. Yorkie gets treated like a flying stuffed doll--not out of meaness, just from the size difference.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Has he settled down at all? A young lab with no training and an excess of energy is going to be a lot for even an experienced dog owner with loads of time to handle.. it sounds like you already have your hands full with your child and the yorkie, and of course the baby.

Please, make sure you can get legal transfer from your neighbour, and start emailing/calling rescues in the morning. Your vet is another resource (some will foster dogs or at least post an advertisement in their lobby), as is the petfinder bulletin boards and classified ad section. Is there a petsmart in your area? They often have affiliations with local rescue groups and shelters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called the neighbors who disowned the dog and told them that if they would keep the dog til tomorow i would call my vet and see about getting him fixed. so hes going to have to spend the night tied up outside again :-[ not something i really want to do and ill be lucky if he doesnt get off again. but yorkie has to sleep with me at night or she barks and lab wont stay in the crate til morning without barking and my daughter is asleep. i can hear him barking from here hes already mad at me. i feel so bad but every one ive called for advice has either told me they cant help cuz there to far away they arent open or they dont have room. tehy wont even give me any advice on what to do with him til tomorow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im just glad they let me take the dog there for the night. i talked to the girl so she was ok with it. i just hope it stays there til morning.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
okay, that sounds like a do-able plan.. but neutering isn't going to magically settle him down within a day or two. He's going to need loads of time, exercise and patience for retraining and socializing.

Is this something you have the time and energy to commit to with a high-risk pregnancy and a young toddler? Be honest - good intentions only go so far. Something to think about tonight... bouncing back and forth between homes isn't fair to the pup.

How old is he, do you have any idea?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes food and water. and lots of it. and i have no problems taking him exercising during the day. there is no way im able to get out tonight with it being so late almost 10. and raining and my daughter sleeping. i will take him for a walk tomorow when hubby is available to help me. Im not high risk pregnancy to the fact that i cant walk or anything i just have blood pressure problems and gestational diabetes. walking will prolly do me good. I just hope exercise will calm him down atleast some. i just want the nutering to maybe take his mind of my anna (girl yorkie). he was humping my chair the couch the air everything. Im also figuring tomorow i might be able to be more prepared for such an addition to my house hold. he doesnt like drinking and eating out of my otehr dogs food and water bowls and maybe some bigger dog toys and treats. one of those kong toys mentioned earlier my yorkie and pom just dont have any of those they arent much interested in toys. my yorkie likes paper and my pom will only chew on certain toys none of which are big enough for a lab. and i have no idea how old he is my guess would be atleast 6 months if not older then that. hes huge he prolly weighs a good 75 pounds or more. i dont have a scale. I had a lab pit bull mix before who was pretty big i took her to petco training classes they didnt much help but i got a book on dog training and it helped that and daily walks. i think i wore her out i like to walk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts