Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When he is getting into something he is not suppose to be into I will say "Tater NO" well use to he would leave it alone and walk away. For the past two weeks I have to tell him more then three times to get his attention. Cody said he might be losing his hearing, I just think he is becoming hard headed. Anyone ever have these problems?

I wish I could tell him if I have to say it three times you are getting time out. Which is what I guess I might have to do. Any other time you say "Come Tater" he can hear that. But when you are telling him no he doesn't respond. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds just like Oakley and my nephews!! Unfortunately, we just have to leave what we are doing and reinforce what they can't have/do. If we leave it, then they learn that they don't need to listen to the "no" or that they don't have to listen until the 3rd time you say it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It might be that "no" is too general. Frankie doesn't know "no" from a hole in the wall, but he does know "leave it" and "off".

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jzgrlduff said:
It might be that "no" is too general. Frankie doesn't know "no" from a hole in the wall, but he does know "leave it" and "off".
Well I guess starting tonight we will start with a new word like leave it. Just gets kind of frustrating. But other then this he has been really good.

He slept with us again Sunday night, he slept on the bench by the window all night. He fell off of it because it really isn't big enough for his fat butt. :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
He might be just going through a phase, Sam. I would honestly try teaching him leave it. Have him sit, or lie down, and place a treat in front of him, and tell him leave it. Make him leave it for various time periods ( 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc, working up, but take it slow for the first 5 or 6 times, increasing the length gradually) Then tell him "Okay" to let him know he can have it.

Try to work this twice a day if possible, till he gets the hang of it. Then use it for stuff he can't have, but make sure that after you tell him Leave it when he's trying to eat your shoe, give him a cookie. Eventually after a while you can stop giving him a cookie.

I have the same problem with Abby - she just doesn't get "leave it" when it comes to my solar garden lights. It's making me nuts.

Hang in there - if it is a phase, it'll stop. Just don't give him any quarter LOL

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Not only do I think you need to be more specific with Tater (as pps have stated), but you also need to follow up with correction. If you tell him "leave it" and he doesn't, don't just say it again while sitting on your butt (or what ever you were doing). If he doesn't respond, you need to get up, go over to him, and correct him (take away whatever he is supposed to leave alone or remove him from what he isn't supposed to be doing). As you correct him, say again, "Tater, leave it" and then when you make sure he does, reinforce with "good boy, Tater!" and lots of petting.

If you repeat a command without enforcing, Tater is going to learn that he gets several chances before he has to obey. IMO, it is better to correct him after you have given and he has ignored the command ONE time.

As as aside, "correct him" does not mean hit him or tap him or physically punish him. "Correct him" means going over and physically changing his behavior by either removing him from the situation or taking away whatever it was he had.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
Not only do I think you need to be more specific with Tater (as pps have stated), but you also need to follow up with correction. If you tell him "leave it" and he doesn't, don't just say it again while sitting on your butt (or what ever you were doing). If he doesn't respond, you need to get up, go over to him, and correct him (take away whatever he is supposed to leave alone or remove him from what he isn't supposed to be doing). As you correct him, say again, "Tater, leave it" and then when you make sure he does, reinforce with "good boy, Tater!" and lots of petting.

If you repeat a command without enforcing, Tater is going to learn that he gets several chances before he has to obey. IMO, it is better to correct him after you have given and he has ignored the command ONE time.

As as aside, "correct him" does not mean hit him or tap him or physically punish him. "Correct him" means going over and physically changing his behavior by either removing him from the situation or taking away whatever it was he had.
Bingo!

MidwestGirl said:
he is a male...they have selective hearing.... ;D
What? ;D

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Yep....as the labmom of another young hard-headed male, I concur with the advice given above. ;)

Teach leave it.
Be consistent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts