Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we take him to Cody's parents to run in their backyard he plays with Bama their black lab who is about 10 or 11 years old. Well Tater always wants to hump him and pins him down. His hips aren't in the best shape I am sure and I just feel bad when Tater does this. Is there something we can do to correct this when it happens?

I clap my hands together and say no. We pull him off of him nothing works. I even squirt him with the hose and that did nothing.

Do I just let it go and once he is a little older maybe it will stop? We keep telling Bama to tell him no but Bama snapped at Tater when he was a puppy and we got on to him and since then he wont do anything to Tater. I think he thinks he will get in trouble like last time. Can anyone help us on this??

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
We had this problem with Elias with ONLY one dog, Kobi, our friends 6 year old black lab. In fact, he still ocassionally does it.
We used to be pretty passive with it, yell at him, pull him off, tell him no. Nothing worked, he just kept doing it. Unfortunately Kobi wouldn't be agressive at all to get him to stop. We finally had ENOUGH. The second he began to do it we would grab him and put him down on the ground and really yell and lay into him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We would hold him there for a bit to be certain that he knows this is unacceptable. It worked.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have this issue also. But once again it's only with one dog. I must admit I think Josh, the GR likes it. But its's really annoying. I just make him stop anytime he tried and make him sit for a minute. but doesn't seem to work yet.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JustJeff said:
Is Tater fixed?
No he isnt. Going to get this done this summer.
blacklabelias said:
We had this problem with Elias with ONLY one dog, Kobi, our friends 6 year old black lab. In fact, he still ocassionally does it.
We used to be pretty passive with it, yell at him, pull him off, tell him no. Nothing worked, he just kept doing it. Unfortunately Kobi wouldn't be agressive at all to get him to stop. We finally had ENOUGH. The second he began to do it we would grab him and put him down on the ground and really yell and lay into him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We would hold him there for a bit to be certain that he knows this is unacceptable. It worked.
This is how every weekend is. I just hate it sometimes. I am sure their neighbors love all four of us yelling at him to stop.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would get him fixed as soon as possible. Even though mounting isn't really about sex, and more about control, it could help with this. Tater wants to establish dominance over the other dog and you have to protect his hips.

When he mounts the other dog, tell him "OFF". One person say it, clearly and assertively. If he does it again remove him from the area and put him in a crate. Yelling could be unknowingly reinforcing the behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts