Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
omg.. the area around her incision is massive.. it's full of fluid.. i press on it and it's squishy.. the incisions are holding it in.. it's not draining at all.. but it looks huge.. i have pics i'll upload now.. but.. holy crap.. what do i do?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Warm, damp compresses, if she'll let you. Is it hot to the touch? Does it seem to hurt her when you touch it? Do you think it's infected? Or is it just fluid that needs to be drained?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Somebody in your "errant stitch" thread suggested warm compresses to remove the remaining little stitch.

Don't panic, Kelli. Get a wash cloth really wet-warm, apply, then reapply with more damp, warm heat. It will encourage the site to give up its icks more freely. You might apply the tiniest bit of pressure to encourage some seepage, but don't be too agressive.

Standing by...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somebody in your "errant stitch" thread suggested warm compresses to remove the remaining little stitch.

Don't panic, Kelli. Get a wash cloth really wet-warm, apply, then reapply with more damp, warm heat. It will encourage the site to give up its icks more freely. You might apply the tiniest bit of pressure to encourage some seepage, but don't be too agressive.

Standing by...
that wasn't me, nance.. her stitches are supposed to stay in for another week.. someone else wanted to remove stitches..

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh... forgot about my tried and true thing...
When the site has reduced, make a paste of aspirin. Not Tylenol, regular aspirin. Mush it up in your fingertips with a couple drops of water and smear it around the site if the site is inflamed.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely compresses, as hot as she can stand, and damp, and for a while just hold them there to loosen things up. Then, like Nance said, a bit of pressure to encourage it to drain - but stand back, that thing has a LOT of fluid in it! Looks like my knee did.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Don't panic Kelli. I think I would have your vet look at it. You don't want to take a chance that there may be a pocket of infection in there. Warm compresses will help. Does it feel warm? Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forwarded the pics to the emergency vet.. he wants her in asap.. **** **** ****

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Sorry Kelll.. it was Amy and Macey with the stitch problem.
Still, all above suggestions are worthy...

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
What they said....warm compresses for about 15 minutes at a time. They might have to put a drain in there to keep it from building up. Not an emergency situation, but I'd plan on taking her in to your vet in the AM. In the meantime, yes; warm compresses.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
after they drain it; even if they put a drainage tube in; you need to do the warm compresses several times a day to keep it from building up again.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Oh my gosh, Kel. I'm so sorry! Good luck at the e-vet. Keep us posted. Continuing good thoughts from here.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts