Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sex change for me, yes or no? I look so cute in pumps.

No, really. I met w/my new urologist yesterday. He's confirmed what Dr Yellowstain originally diagnosed but was so muddled in explaining: I've got cysts and stones. The cysts are the more concerning. On a 1-5 scale, marching toward cancerhood, I'm at a 2. Which ain't a 3 but ain't a 1 either. So we're going to monitor continually. I'm set for another MRI at the end of the summer.

The decision I've got to make is the stones.

He's offered lithotripsy as the treatment of choice. But pulling the trigger on it (hah -- I make myself laugh) is totally my call.

So here's where I am: I am TOTALLY asymptomatic. If these little rattlers in there were causing me discomfort, I'd blast 'em today. But except for some occasional bleeding (scary, true, but not life-threatening), I would never even know they were there.

Doc told me that if I were a pilot or a cabbie -- someone for whom a sudden attack would put others in danger -- he'd advise me to schedule the procedure and have it done on MY terms rather than on Mr Stones' terms.

Well, I'm not a pilot. Nor a cabbie.

But here's one thought that wheedled its way into my mind:

Suppose I'm 1/2 an hr away from playing a Wedding when Old Stoney decides to launch itself down the chute.

Is that something I really want to risk? Or would risk doing to a Bride??

I don't know. I'm presently in a really bad spot to be making a decision like this, what with 5893 other crises seemingly hitting at the same time.

Questions, then, for the group:

- Anyone w/experience w/lithotripsy?
- And: WWYDIMS? ((What would you do in my shoes?))

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Good luck on this decision - it is a tough one. I am not sure if I wudl try to be treated immediatly or not, in my case it woudl be a sudden issue regardign child care and work etc - so i might schedule it to have soem control of the time. I understand that they can also become extremly painful (I have heard worse than child birth). One woman I work with had a procedure in early January and it was "non- medical" in a sense. It was done in a hospital andby a doctor but she layed on a "bed of water" for lack of a better way of explaining it, and they blasted shock waves through the water at a high rate. The first time was not successful so she went back to manitoba for the another procedure and within a day or two she expelled the stone bits with no pain. Not sure what the procedure was calle dbut is this an option to you? then there is no risk of anastesia and surgery etc but your porblem is still solved.......

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't have any experience with lithotripsy, and having only one kidney . . . I hope I never do. Before you even mentioned weddings, I was thinking of all of life's little (or big) emergencies that a stone deciding to make a move could interfere with. Besides the occasional bleeding, if you find yourself thinking/worrying about a stone launching into the chute; I think I would have them blasted.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I would have it done as soon as possible.

I totally get your concern about the weddings. I book bands for wedding receptions and although there is a clause in the contract for sickness it's a real worry as one of our bands only has one singer in the entire band. A constant worry for me is if that one singer would get sick and we would be risking someone's wedding.

Do you have a backup for the weddings in the event of illness?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a backup for the weddings in the event of illness?
In a pinch, yes. With no notice, 1/2 hr before a Bride is set to roll, it might be tough.......

I've also got vacation coming in July. Would hate to spend that in a hospital rm rather than on the beach.....

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I say do it before it becomes an emergency situation. Good point about the stones possibly ruining someone's wedding, but it could also happen while driving with your family in the car.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I didn't know what it was so I had to look it up :
You lie on a water-filled cushion, and the surgeon uses X-rays or ultrasound tests to precisely locate the stone. High-energy sound waves pass through your body without injuring it and break the stone into small pieces. These small pieces move through the urinary tract and out of the body more easily than a large stone.
The process takes about an hour.
I would go that route, for sure. It sounds like an easy peasy procedure, and like you said, I wouldn't want to risk being at a wedding or something like that.

Good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Had you ever seen anybody in the midst of a full-blown kidney stone episode, you wouldn't think twice about having it taken care of. I've driven two people to the hospital during such attacks and I've never seen pain like that in my life. I was on a job-site once where a guy cut off his thumb with a saw; it didn't seem to hurt as much as the kidney stones did.

I'd get it fixed in a new york minute.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I have no personal experience but have seen lots of pt.s and a few co-workers who have been through it with good results. I can tell you one thing if they do decide to start causing pain, it can be some of the worst pain a person will ever have to endure. We at work always can tell when a kidney stone pain pt. comes in, bent over, rocking, sweating, and often time's throwing up! Have I painted a nice picture:fear: The problem I see is then you would be off to the ER, you would not be able to deal with it at home if it becomes this severe, incurring that cost. The lithotripsy would at that point not be an option, it would in all probability be a necessity. Did your doc give you any idea how long a wait it would be if you did SUDDENLY need one? I'm with you Dan, I put crap off all the time, cant tell you how long its been since I've had a physical, well yes I can at least 6yrs! In your case it might be better to wrap the ol' "Bull by the horn" and get it done! JMO for what its worth!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have no personal experience but have seen lots of pt.s and a few co-workers who have been through it with good results. I can tell you one thing if they do decide to start causing pain, it can be some of the worst pain a person will ever have to endure. We at work always can tell when a kidney stone pain pt. comes in, bent over, rocking, sweating, and often time's throwing up! Have I painted a nice picture:fear: The problem I see is then you would be off to the ER, you would not be able to deal with it at home if it becomes this severe, incurring that cost. The lithotripsy would at that point not be an option, it would in all probability be a necessity. Did your doc give you any idea how long a wait it would be if you did SUDDENLY need one? I'm with you Dan, I put crap off all the time, cant tell you how long its been since I've had a physical, well yes I can at least 6yrs! In your case it might be better to wrap the ol' "Bull by the horn" and get it done! JMO for what its worth!
^^ I would definitely take that advice.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
the bleeding is really scary if not inconvenient. you could have a case of bleeding and chalk it up to the stones where as if you didnt have them you *might* take it more as an emergency. bleeding can be a symptom of so many other things. i would get them removed, dan.

this might not be life altering to others you work with, but this is a case where you need to be your top priority.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
My SIL had that procedure done as she had a stone the size of a peach pit (which may be a bit of hyperbole). It worked for her with minimal discomfort.

I'd do it and not wait for them to interrupt your life.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Fix it now. Lithotripsy is so much easier than passing a stone. I know from experience. Why put yourself through excruciating pain?? And yes, it is excruciating. Also, even though you say you have no symptoms... you DO have symptoms.. .of bleeding. This kind of constant irritation, IMHO, is not healthy for your kidneys.

I have 7 stones embedded between the wall of my right kidney, they can't go anywhere and to remove them surgically is a MAJOR operation on the kidney itself. I don't have any bleeding from it, but I do get kidney spasms, which makes it really difficult at times when I have to find a bathroom like NOW.

Seriously, go get it fixed. It's not a bad procedure and it will be over and done with.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.