Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? I'll read mostly anything with the exception of sci-fi type stuff.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Steven Ambrose, "Nothing Like it in the World, the building of the transcontinental railroad." A friend has my copy right now and loves it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Check out my books on my facebook profile. Go under Books on my profile page. Or on the left hand corner of my wall is my goodreads thingy. click on that.
Have your read the James Patterson 1st to Die series? You would probably like those Savannah books by Denise Hildreth. And my favorite recent books are by Kristin Hannah, Firefly Lane and True Colors.
Iris Johansen has a great Eve Duncan series that has dogs in them. :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D
Thanks peeps!

Sandy, I haven't read the 1st to Die series but I do like James Patterson!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Stace, I've just finished:

Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously (Julie Powell): about a girl who, in the span of a year, works her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook. Great book if you're into cooking at all.

Eat, Pray, Love (Elizabeth Gilbert)

Still Alice (Lisa Genova): this one was brilliantly written... story of a Harvard professor who develops early-onset Alzheimers, story is told from her point of view. Very serious book but I couldn't put it down.

On the nightstand...

Angels and Demons (Dan Brown): I want to read the book before I watch the movie.

The Perfectionist: Life and Death in Haute Cuisine (Rudolph Chelminski)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Oh Felicia thos sound good! Have you read The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine? It's about a guy who decides to make a huge meal from Escoffier's cookbook and catch all the ingredients he can :)

Stacey, you might like Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin. I really enjoyed it.

I also liked Netherland by Joseph O'Neill, and Tell Me Where it Hurts by Nick Trout (about a day in the life of a small animal surgeon).

Oh! And anything by David Sedaris! They're quick and short and hilarious!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm reading this. You can read it in a day and the author will have you in the palm of her hand (and inside the boy's head) before you finish the first short chapter.

What the Birds See

by Sonya Hartnett
What the Birds See

What the Birds See by Sonya Hartnett is an international award winning novel. It is a taut suspense filled coming-of-age novel about a young Australian boy growing up in the aftermath of the disappearance of three children in his neighborhood. (The novel was inspired by real events.)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lamora-Scott-Lynch/dp/055358894X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242048159&sr=8-1

On a distant world, orphan Locke Lamora is sold into a crew of thieves and con artists. Soon his natural gifts make him an underworld celebrity, leader of the flamboyantly larcenous Gentleman Bandits. But there is someone who covets Locke's talents, his success, his very life, forcing him to put everything on the line to protect himself. With a world so vividly realized that it's positively tactile, and characters so richly drawn that they threaten to walk right off the page, this is one of those novels that reaches out and grabs readers, pulling us into the middle of the action. With this debut novel, Lynch immediately establishes himself as a gifted and fearless storyteller, unafraid of comparisons to Silverberg and Jordan, not to mention David Liss and even Dickens (the parallels to Oliver Twist offer an appealing extra dimension to the story, although the novel is no mere reimagining of that Victorian classic). Fans of lavishly appointed fantasy will be in seventh heaven here, but it will be nearly as popular with readers of literary crime fiction. This is a true genre bender, at home on almost any kind of fiction shelf. Expect it to be among the year's most impressive debuts. David Pitt

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you enjoy hilarious mysteries, and no that's not an oxymoron, then try any of the Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich. Someday this series has to be made into a TV series or movie. The cast of characters will have you LOL.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
If you like mysteries and a light, fun, read, check out the series by Laurien Berenson, they all relate with dog showing. It's a fun read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts