Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm serious about the "need" part... I just don't know how I could swing it right now.

There is a huge void I'm trying to fill and really.. the perfect solution is a dog.

For a while I filled the void with World of Warcraft (a million reasons why THAT is not good... especially since you are indoors and sitting on your ass too much and eating fast food cause you can't be bothered to step away from the computer long enough to shop and make a meal)

Then there is whole guy thing. Maybe there is something wrong with me but every guy has an issue.

Too stupid: I need someone I can talk to... and the only thing these boys are good for I can get from a vibrator... with less hassle I might add

Too young: I don't get any pleasure out of taking care of a grown man.

Too old: Now here is closer to what I can deal with. Heck, my longest relationship ever was with a guy way older than me. But invariably they end up either making me feel inadequate (I know... totally weird right?... perhaps it's some daddy complex I have... thanks parental units!) or are just too boring and not into the same things as me and while I try things they are interested in, they are too stubborn to try stuff I like. Hard to imagine the older guys being more selfish than the younger ones... but so far it's true.

Too religious: I don't mind people of faith... I can deal with someone believing in a higher power and all that... but I cannot take the constant preachy-ness or repressed attitudes/feelings or constantly referring to god as if he actually controls everything that happens in your life. I don't want anyone telling me "god has a reason" the next time my mom is in the hospital. (she's been fine... I'm just saying... I seriously can't take that kind of thing)

So a dog. Yup. That's what I need. Someone that wants me to take care of him and in return gives me all the love and affection I could possibly want. Someone that gets me out of the house... that I can enjoy nature through (cause I don't enjoy nature on my own... but seeing a dog romp through grass is a joy all on it's own) Someone who will always be there when I get home and be happy to see me.

I just can't do it in this apartment (unless I get a small dog... they say "under 30 lbs" but I think maybe I could get away with more... I just can never seem to find a breed that actually fits with me that is that small)... and I'm not sure I can afford moving (not to mention the time/energy to find a place and prepare to move and actually moving). I also am not sure it would be fair to the dog with my schedule as I will have to take a night course or two this fall and spring... and I'm not sure how tired I'm going to be working full time in addition to that.

So I was thinking... maybe I should get a cat. But I don't think that will fill the void... and I'm terrified... absolutely terrified of getting a cat that doesn't like me and then I'm "stuck" with a living being that needs me to survive but doesn't live up to their end of the bargain.

That and I can't stand litter boxes.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
men are like parking spaces...all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with a small dog. Emily did help fill a void while I lived by myself and was dating Denny long distance. She is very catlike in many respects, too. I thought I liked big dogs until my little baby crawled up in my lap while I was doing homework or on the computer. Ivy has the energy of a lab, loves to chase a ball, swim, and basically do everything Teddy does in a smaller package.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If I were to get a small dog, I would seriously consider a PBGV, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cats are great. Not as needy as dogs, but they do provide companionship. Research your breeds if you really are considering getting one. I have Ragdolls and they are actually nick-named puppy cats because they love to be around their people, greet them at the door, come when they are called, etc. I do recommend, though, if you get one cat, get two. They are happy when the have a buddy to play with. FWIW, the litter box isn't that bad. Get a scoopable (not clay) litter and scoop it every day and it's fine:)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I love my cats, but they definitely aren't dogs. They are fairly cuddly for cats, but if they don't want the attention, they're very expressive about it.

Our little pembroke corgi is a great dog. They are active, loyal, very intelligent, and want to please their owners. They are also very clownish and keep you laughing with their antics. There's nothing cuter than seeing on sleeping. They sleep on their backs. :). I can't imagine not ever sharing our home with a corgi or a lab. The two breeds compliment each other well (in case you do get another lab in the future or Ender comes for a long visit again :) ).

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
French Bulldog? They're a really good smaller dog.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Linds, you've been needing a dog ever since Ender went off with Eric.
DO it. There's a thirty-ish pounder out there just for you! Scope your shelters, your rescues, newspaper ads. You're looking for companionship, not a pedigree.

You need a D-O-G. You want a D-O-G. Get yourself a doggone companion.

:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Stop trying to rationalize it all. You want a pup and goodness knows, you know how to care for one. Get out there and find your new buddy! I'll be standing by for pics...........

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Linds, start trolling the pounds and rescues - something perfect for you is out there in the form of a dog. While I side with you that a cat would be a good companion, and would bring joy to your life, it's not the same. As awesome as my cat is (and she is!) I can't take her for walks, or things I (and you!) love doing with our dogs. Plus, most cats do things when they want to, not when you want to, not like a dog.

Soooooo. I would say skip the cat, get the dog. You'll make it work with your schedule -I know you, and I know you will once it's in your life. Not having a dog has been gutting you since Ender, and really, you could get a cat, but I'm afraid a few months down the road you'd still wind up pining a dog.

Just do it.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh gawd Nance and Karina... you know me so well... I'm sitting here bawling cause I know you are so right.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Oh gawd Nance and Karina... you know me so well... I'm sitting here bawling cause I know you are so right.
Luv ya, babe.

You've been wanting a dog for a while now, and you've put it out in the universe for so long, once you just say "smurf it" and decide to do it, I think the universe is gonna surprise you with something special....

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Just do it, Lindsey! Start looking and don't be discouraged. Like my finding my horse, you'll find your dog (and prolly when/where you least expect it).

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I love my cats. My Maine **** is ALOMOST like a dog. But like has already been said (Nance or Karina, I think), you just don't do the same things with a cat - like go for walks, to the park, and meet people because of that.

But - if you're hesitant and unsure about your willingness to move, etc. - what about fostering? You could take care of a nice small-ish 30 pound dog, if it's not a perfect match then you've at least given the dog some important socialization on the way to his/her forever home. If it is a prefect match, you can always be a happy foster failure. It might ease your guilt about how much time you need to spend out of the house at work and school, too, if it's not necessarily a permanent arrangement. Just a thought.

Of course, if you like the cat idea, you could foster a kitty as well just to see what it's like to live with one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts