Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oy!!

I'm house and dog sitting for my friend/boss while she and her husband are in Puerto Rico (jealous! but anywho...) They have 2 Boston Terriers, Ratchet is 4 years old and he is my best buddy, Flick is I believe 4 months old and whooo boy is he testing my patience today and it's only day 1!

He is not house trained yet, but he is crate trained. So I drove up this morning, let him out of his crate and carried him down the steps to go outside. Put him down in the grass, he peed, I praised and gave him a treat and then took him back inside so I could feed the boys breakfast. I scooped Ratchet's food, turned around and Flick was peeing on the kitchen floor!!! Soooo I scooped him up, told him "pee outside!!" (which is what they say) and took him out again, he ran around the yard chasing leaves and, peed and then came back inside. Then, I put Ratchet's food bowl down, went to get Flick his food and there he was pooping on the kitchen floor!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! We will definitely be establishing a routine...he will go outside every time he wakes up, every time he plays or eats, I'm determined not to spend my entire 6 days cleaning up pee and poop inside the house!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I thought you got another puppy. :) I would LOVE to see pics of those 2, I love Bostons!!

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha we don't have room for another puppy!

I'm driving back up there in a little bit, and I'm taking my camera.I will be sure to share some pictures.

It's just frustrating because I don't think they've established any kind of routine for him they just let him out when the older dog wants to go out or when he pees on the floor her husband yells at him and takes him out. Elise is the one who establishes the routine, but when she is not home or at work nobody follows through!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Puppies are definitely cute and fun, but they are SO much work. I always forget how much until we bring a new puppy into the house! lol

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puppies are definitely cute and fun, but they are SO much work. I always forget how much until we bring a new puppy into the house! lol

It's so true!!

Penny is almost 1 so it's only been about 6 or 7 months since I've had to deal with any puppy shenanigans, and I'm still not prepared! haha

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Can you talk to her about that, Stace? Tell her you noticed blah blah blah and how dogs really need a firm routine.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Sorry, Bostons are very stubborn and this sounds like very normal behavior. Ivy and Emily still have accidents occasionally...Ivy is 4 and Emily is almost 7.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allie, I've heard that they are stubborn I just didn't think they were that stubborn!! Plus he is still young and like I said only has a stable potty routine when Elise is home.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
They pretty much do whatever the hell they want, lol. If he doesn't seem to go in the crate I would crate him when he isn't outside and you're getting the food together. Then do extended play times. With Emily and Ivy, I had them paper trained for awhile, especially while we were working on going outside, so they at least had 2 points of reference instead of just going wherever.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They pretty much do whatever the hell they want, lol. If he doesn't seem to go in the crate I would crate him when he isn't outside and you're getting the food together. Then do extended play times. With Emily and Ivy, I had them paper trained for awhile, especially while we were working on going outside, so they at least had 2 points of reference instead of just going wherever.

They have pee pads down for him, but he wasn't even near that when he was peeing! lol In her note it said that he knows to use them. Maybe he's just being a rebel ;)

When I got there this morning there was no mess in his crate and he had been in there for about 3 hours. Thanks for that tip :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Small dogs are a WHOLE different animal to potty train.. i believe it took my family well over a full year to train my Westie. He was crate trained, but it was this HUGE process to get him reliable enough to allow out of the crate.. crate to pen, pen to room, room to upstairs, upstairs to two floors, etc.. every new milestone created new poop.

He did get it eventually.. but it took a lot of patience, consistancy and 140580 boxes of milk bones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That reminds me of Lucky when he's younger...unconditional work by peeing all over the floor! I'd recommend trying punishments? Like, every time he pees on the floor, lock him in the cage for 10 minutes - you've gotta get across the message that you're serious about this, or else he's just gonna think, 'I just peed on the floor. My master's yelling foolishly at the top of her voice and nothing happens...'.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts