Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... because I kind of hope Harley will go through the kind of insane, bipolar, lunatic phase young Labs have such a reputation for. I mean, the great noble beautiful grown up Lab is a good thing and I do hope he gets there, but I am also looking forward to the 'Marley and Me' kind of dog too.. :)

We had a Yellow Lab about 12 years ago and were totally unprepared for the hurricane we adopted. I mean we had no idea whatsoever what we were getting into. This dog ate a CLOCK RADIO! for gosh sake! We left it for him so he would have some noise while we were gone and when we came back, half was missing and the rest was in pieces. We found Calvin a new home shortly after that, but in the intervening years, we have always remarked how much we missed Calvin and it has always gone without saying that when we got a new dog, it would be a Lab. So here we are again, and now I'm looking forward to the insanity. I kind of feel like "Bring it on..." :)

BTW, the Harley/Marley rhyming thing is just a coincidence. Don't blame me for the name, I wanted to call him either Hobbes or Dante... ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good Luck! You'll need it! ;) Unless you get a Milly like Sarah! Milly is a little angel and none of us believe her when she says Milly was bad!

Or you could get a Sam-wise! His exploits are legendary! ;)

Labs are fun at any stage though, so I know what you mean by looking forward to it! They're just so dern adorable when they're bad!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Oh Milly is naughty when she wants to be..... I should take a picture of our laundry door that is slowly disappearing ;) She (as do alot of other Lab's) has a sweet tooth for wood.

I don't understand though (to the OP) why you got rid of your gorgeous lab because he destroyed a clock radio??

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh Milly is naughty when she wants to be..... I should take a picture of our laundry door that is slowly disappearing ;) She (as do alot of other Lab's) has a sweet tooth for wood.

I don't understand though (to the OP) why you got rid of your gorgeous lab because he destroyed a clock radio??

I missed that part! :eek:

Your new lab is going to tear all kinds of stuff up too! So be prepared for that. If I had rehomed my dogs for everything they tore up....well I'd have a LOT of Labs by this point!!!

I can post pics of Sam's exploits alone! Sarah knows ALL ABOUT the carpeting/spare bedroom :eek:

I seriously hope you're prepared for the havoc this new puppy can wreak!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I missed that part! :eek:

Your new lab is going to tear all kinds of stuff up too! So be prepared for that. If I had rehomed my dogs for everything they tore up....well I'd have a LOT of Labs by this point!!!

I seriously hope you're prepared for the havoc this new puppy can wreak!
Ditto that!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Brag warning - - -

Blaise's only desruction so far has been one shoe (a very expensive one) and one of my husband's CDs. Not bad in 4 months. He is pretty good about sticking to the Nylabones and 850 other toys we have strewn about the room.

Oh - and he and his partner in crime took 2 lovely flowering bushes all the way down to the ground - just ate them. But we fenced the garden off from them and the bushes actually grew back. No harm!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Sharon - why havent I see Blaise pictures?? Have you posted any? How could I have missed them?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not because of the radio, but because we realized we weren't prepared for what owning a blonde Tasmanian Devil entailed. We truly loved Calvin, but we lived in a small second floor, two bedroom apartment. This was before any thoughts of children, when we were just married a couple of years and very much into ourselves and our little wants. It just wasn't the atmosphere he needed to be in, and we weren't capable of giving him what he really needed, which was space and LOTS of attention.

Now, we are much older with different priorities, we have 7 yo boy/girl twins, a house with a yard (actually a duplex, but plenty of room and we'll be moving to a house soon).

Kevin

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Fair enough, I think it was great that you recognised that and found a good forever home for Calvin. Your first post didn't read like that though lol... sorry! Harley is a cutie BTW, and I am sure you will get your fair share of mischief with him in the coming months!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I think management is key. Baloo has never destroyed anything of value, but it's not because he's *that* good, it's because we were really good about supervising him and crating when we couldn't. He never had the opportunity to be destructive. I assure you, if he'd had the opportunity he would have wreaked massive havoc.

When it comes to health problems and labs, obstructions scare me a LOT. They're up there with HD, ED, bloat and the "C" word.

Wanted to add, no worries, I'm sure you'll have more frenetic energy than you'll know what to do with soon enough. I predict you'll be eating the above posted words many times over. :D

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Sharon - why havent I see Blaise pictures?? Have you posted any? How could I have missed them?
Because - I still have no idea how to get the **** things on here. I will mess with it again this weekend. I have pictures on Photobucket - but can't seem to make them stick here.

I put some new ones on FB Sarah.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think management is key. Baloo has never destroyed anything of value, but it's not because he's *that* good, it's because we were really good about supervising him and crating when we couldn't. He never had the opportunity to be destructive. I assure you, if he'd had the opportunity he would have wreaked massive havoc.

When it comes to health problems and labs, obstructions scare me a LOT. They're up there with HD, ED and the "C" word.
Ditto with the management!! Happy and Lucky both have been really good about the destruction. I've tried my hardest to keep Sam under eagle eyes....He's crated whenever I leave the house....even if it's for a few minutes. I've learned even if I'm just going outside and Shane and Phoenix are still inside...I'll come back in and he's gotten into something!! I have been terrified about obstructions with Sam..thankfully either my management skills have gotten better with him, or he's just learning to behave....probably the first though. :p

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Because - I still have no idea how to get the **** things on here. I will mess with it again this weekend. I have pictures on Photobucket - but can't seem to make them stick here.

I put some new ones on FB Sarah.
oh cool will check them out when i get home! thnx

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Fair enough, I think it was great that you recognised that and found a good forever home for Calvin. Your first post didn't read like that though lol... sorry! Harley is a cutie BTW, and I am sure you will get your fair share of mischief with him in the coming months!
I think I sometimes come off as angry when I mean to be lovingly sarcastic. It happens a lot with me... :D

When I speak of that radio (and when talking about dogs, that one inevitably comes up), it's not out of anger, but amazement. I never in my life pictured a dog chewing up a radio, and to this day I wonder if he didn't get a free electro-shock therapy session out of it. I really thought he was the most insane animal I had ever seen, but even at his worst, my anger was directed more at the insanity of the act and not Calvin himself. In all the time he was with us, I never hit him (and never would ANY dog), never shoved his face in poop (I could never understand that one. The dog doesn't even remember he pooped after 30 seconds), and I always tried to be reasonable about disciplining him.

I mean really, if you treat anyone or thing like that, how can you ever expect them to really trust you?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
agree - hitting and shoving a dogs muzzle in poop just teaches your animal that you're a bully. Positive Reinforcement is the best way!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Unless you have Sam-wise....then prayer is your only hope!

:D

And my dogs remember when they've done something wrong. I'll come home and if there's not a trio of slobbery dogs and tail/butt waggling I know SOMEBODY did something wrong. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you ever see 'A River Runs Though It'? There's a scene where a guy comes home from college and the whole family is sitting around and the family dog shows up. The guy starts playing with the dog, wrestling and grabbing his muzzle and generally working him into a frenzy until the dog accidentally nips the guy's hand, for which he receives a (hard) smack on top of the head and goes running from the room.

Now I grew up in a sort of, shall we say 'low life' family that never even thought twice about hitting a dog to punish him. The when I saw that scene, the stupidity of it grabbed me and I have tried since to treat dogs with respect to their um... diminished cranial capacity and unconditional love. To me anyone who would hit a dog gets tossed into the same category as someone who would hit a 3 yo for messing his pants.

BTW, I don't hit children either...

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts