Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been so scared to write out thist post afraid of people bashing me for doing this. Yes,I no longer have Rascal. When we got him when he was just 8 weeks old I was staying at home, and had all the time in the world to spend with him. Since we moved,I have started working and the free time I had has just disappeared. Between work,kids,husband,household chores,ect... I felt like I was neglecting Rascal. So,on Sunday he went to the Shawnee,OK K-9 training unit and is being trained to sniff out drugs and explosives. They already have a place lined up for him at a sheriff's dept in Oklahoma somewhere working in the courthouse.

These few days have been very hard on me. I keep thinking I hear him, and yesterday it was raining and I found myself going to the back door to let him in. The man who is his trainer said he would keep me posted on his progress and send pics. It's strange how it came into play with him going here. I didn't want to give him to just anyone. I was afraid he would go from this situation to another home that is just as busy and doesn't have the time to devote to him. Rascal is so much more than that, and deserves all the attention in the world. So,I emailed the K-9 unit and got a reply pretty fast.(within a day) It just so happened that they were looking for a black lab for this particular job. The dog they had before (Shepard) didn't work out, and they requested a lab. I called and asked LOTS of questions. I was concerned if he didn't pass the class what would happen. He assured me that they have a waiting list of people who want to adopt their dogs that don't pass the class. He said that they have to go through a very long process,and they don't allow just anyone to adopt their dogs.

The day we took him he was such a trooper. I think he knew something was going on. It took all I had to hold the tears back. When the man showed up (we met half way) Rascal went right up to him and wanted to play. As soon as I handed the leash to him,I totally lost it. I got pics of all of us with him, and of the kids with Rascal and his new trainer. He said he would keep his name, so if I ever see a dog on the news in Oklahoma named Rascal who has saved someones life, I know that is my baby.

Please keep him in your prayers that he is doing well in his training,and still knows that his first mommy loved him very much. Gosh...I miss my dog. :(

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
No bashing here, just :'(, because I know how it hurts to lose your pup, for what ever reason. The best of thoughts to Rascal, what a positive thing for him to be able to do! :angel:

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :( But you did what you know was best for Rascal in this situation, now he will gets lots of attention, even a real job! ;) I'm glad they will keep you updated about him. Keep us posted about his progress!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh gosh! I find myself crying while reading about sweet little Rascal. I am sure it was very hard but your lab will love being a special dog. And if he doesn't work out and they have to rehome him I know that organizations are very careful. My daughter and family adopted a Good Will Service dog, Zoe, who is the sweetest girl. And I know that they had a home inspection and were checked out carefully before being allowed to adopt the dog. There were also some follow ups but don't remember the specifics. I give you alot of credit to know that this was the better alternative for your beloved Rascal. Sophie and Sadie's Mom

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Oh, I know it must have been so hard. I hope you will share any pics that you get of 'our' little Rascal.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
:'( I'm sorry that it didn't work out for Rascal with your family. I know that was hard. I choose to look at this as a positive change for Rascal. You knew you couldn't give Rascal the life he deserved and you found an excellent alternative for him.

Let us know when you get updates on him!!

Thoughts for you and prayers for Rascal. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts