Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my wife says, he's loosing his "giggleberries" on Thursday. :eek:

Is it normal for them to keep them overnight? The vet said we'll drop him off before 9 and pick him up the next day around 4. MAN thats gonna be hard!!! She said based on his weight it'll be about $129, he's approximately 50 lbs.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
My vet said the same thing about the overnight thing but they have no one there to attend to them overnight. I think I would see if they would let you bring him home that day. I did and am glad I did. It is true he was out of it but he did just fine. I had Tal's done in February and it cost a little over $300. But I also had him microchipped at the time.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
A lot of vets will keep them over night as long as someone is there I wouldn't mind but if no one is there to watch them I would insist on taking him home. Price veries a lot by area. He'll be fine but I'll keep him in my thoughts until then.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Frankie's appointment is the 31st. Drop off at 8 a.m., pick up that afternoon. I wouldn't want them to keep them overnight either, unless someone is there round the clock.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I agree with the others, if no one will be there overnight, I would bring him home. I brought Sammi home and she did well. She was Spayed and micro chipped and it was 150.00- But our vet is really resonable, and just wants the pets spayed or neutered so does it at pretty low cost.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Overnight is standard at my vet but they have 24/7 coverage. And theyare expensive..............

Good luck! I will keep him in my thoughts......

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I called and they said they won't let me take him home the day of. She said that Dr. Love (yes thats his real name) likes to check them first thing in the morning to see if they have any swollen areas and other things. This vet is a thousand times better than the one in town (i've already changed vets once...I won't let the vet in town won't touch Ty with a 10 foot pole). So I trust them enough, keep him in your thoughts!

Also, is there anything in particular I should do when we get him home? No running, etc for a few days? I scheduled this so we'd take him home on a Friday so we'll have the weekend to watch him closely.

I guess I could do a search huh! ::)

·
Registered
128 Posts
We had Bo's done last Monday. i took him in around 8:30, brought him home around 5pm, a bit groggy, but not as much as I expected. brought him back the next a.m. to check his temp and check his incision. They gave me sedatives for him (which I guess helped, but he was still pretty active). Had to have the Cone on his head for about 5 days and "restrict his activities". Un huh.
Cost about 250, including postop drugs. But this is the SF Bay area.

He's fine now.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
JeffG said:
Well I called and they said they won't let me take him home the day of. She said that Dr. Love (yes thats his real name) likes to check them first thing in the morning to see if they have any swollen areas and other things. This vet is a thousand times better than the one in town (i've already changed vets once...I won't let the vet in town won't touch Ty with a 10 foot pole). So I trust them enough, keep him in your thoughts!

Also, is there anything in particular I should do when we get him home? No running, etc for a few days? I scheduled this so we'd take him home on a Friday so we'll have the weekend to watch him closely.

I guess I could do a search huh! ::)
I would talk to Dr. Love myself. They were not going to allow me to take Tal home but when my vet realized it was me, he agreed because he knew I would watch him, particularly that first night.

Make sure he does not lick his sutures because the incision can get infected. Tal had no running, going for walks or anything like that for about 7 days. Except for the obvious lack of "giggleberries" lol you cannot tell he has ever had any surgery. They did a really nice job.

They didn't give me a cone and said to just watch him. Tal never really licked himself much. When I picked him up at 5 that day, he was alot more alert than I expected. Once we got in the car tho he was zonked out. Pretty much slept until the next morning. By that second afternoon, the anesthesia had worn off completely!

Just be careful and be creative with games to play indoors. That keeps him active and from getting bored. We started playing "gonna get you" and to this day Tal still loves that game. Really great when it is rainy out and can't get out as much!

Good luck and good thoughts and prayers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts