Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize how much I missed running outside all winter. I just did 2 days in a row of sidewalk, tomorrow I am hitting the trail, I think most of the snow is gone. It was too soupy today. Those endorphins kick ass! Fresh., crisp spring air in my lungs, feet pounding the road, music in my ears, Angus trotting happily alongside me...

Bliss. =)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I've been on the treadmill almost exclusively since mid-Nov when it started getting too damned cold to run outside. I DO prefer outside, for all the reasons you cited. But it definitely takes me some adjustment. Wind, temp, glare, traffic, leaves, sticks, puddles, dogpoop, glass, gravel, etc. etc. etc. --- I always seem to need a period of readjustment in going from the t/m back outside.

I would also LOVE this spring/summer to find a track and try some barefoot running. I've been doing at least 2-4 miles per week on the t/m barefoot to build up the necessary callouses.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I miss running in the city. Now I use a treadmill, because this country living stuff really aggravates my asthma. But honestly, don't really love running. Do it for weight loss, not for enjoyment.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Those of you who run, you must be slim and trim! My stepmother used to run but the weight was just melting off of her so she had to stop. She was getting too thin. I can't run thanks to my skiing accident at 10 which resulted in a bad knee. I loooove to walk though, look forward to my 3 a day with the dogs when it's nice out. I do it regardless of the weather, but when it's nice out - WOW!!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I forgot the word "inside". Sort of important.

I'm kidding though...I think 60s are my favorite temps to run in (maybe upper 50s), but 70s aren't too bad. Anything into the 80s starts getting miserable for me.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Amy -- I've wondered about what I think of as 'runner body.' Y'know, the men/women who seem to have about 1% bodyfat? Who can get away w/those wispy running shorts and tank tees and still look good?

I probably don't run enough to look like that (2 miles per day x 5-6 days per week is about all I can manage), but I'm thinking that even if I logged their miles, I probably *still* wouldn't look like that.

I think the genetics deck is stacked against me.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I've wondered about what I think of as 'runner body.' Y'know, the men/women who seem to have about 1% bodyfat? Who can get away w/those wispy running shorts and tank tees and still look good?
That's what I thought. All the runners I see on my street or up on the trail look like that. I've never seen an overweight person running. Seriously....

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Of course, there are those here who think I look like Michael Moore, so.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You, Michael Moore?! OMG that's funny - NOT!!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
My wife is a runner and when she had to stop for a few weeks because of a broken foot. she put on a few pounds....it was cute. Of course I didn't mention it. She just started running again......thank god.......she is much better to be around when she gets to run.

Running really keeps her thin and toned........so I always support her running. LOL

She also takes my hunting dogs with her (one at a time)......saves me a lot of offseason conditioning work with them. :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It is so nice to get outside and run when the weather warms up. I was sitting here last Thursday, looked outside, looked at the temperature (39F and sunny); and couldn't resist. It was awesome, at one point as I hurdled a pothole I realized that I was smiling (had to stop smiling so people didn't think I was crazy). Now that Bauer is 2, I have started taking him with me and he loves it. So far I have only taken him for 2.5 mile runs. When I'm not training for a longer race, I typically run about 3.5 - 4 miles; but I haven't wanted to take him that far yet . . . but I really think he would be fine. How far do you go with Angus?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Angus did 5k runs with me last year, and a few 7k, so that's about 4-5 miles ?? He loves to run too =)

Oh, I smile too. When I am just starting out, I smile AND sing along with my ipod, but about 2k in I have to really concentrate on my breathing, so no more singing til cool down. =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I wish I was able to run. :(

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Oh, I smile too. When I am just starting out, I smile AND sing along with my ipod, but about 2k in I have to really concentrate on my breathing, so no more singing til cool down. =)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! Except it's more like 1km in for me!
I just started running again on Saturday after not being allowed to for more than 6 weeks! Twisted my pelvis and physio said nooooo running until she ok-d it!
So now that I'm all lined-up again, I'm looking forward to getting my endurance back! Haha!! 6 weeks is a long time!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Running is like a savings account... It takes a long time to build up, and a short time to lose it all. I am feeling this after a winter of near-hibernation. But it feels sooo good to be back in it! =)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts