Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got such a wonderful email from Remy's breeder I could just cry.

We've been having a difficult time with Remy lately - mainly jumping on people to the point where we've been avoiding having people over lately and he keeps taking things he shouldn't have and initiating "chase" and will not give them up for anything. We've tried everything we know and really aren't making a lot of headway. I've been very frustrated - to the point of tears on several occasions. I love this doofus, but he's making life very stressful.

So I finally sent off an email to the breeder, who is a trainer, to see if she could give us any pointers and I got a such long supportive email from her! She thinks we should neuter him. [insert sigh of relief here] We've been talking about it, but I was hesitant to do it without clearing it with her. She also said she could get us into a training class with the owner of the obedience school that we go to in March. This woman is genius at figuring out ways to get the behavior you want from your dog. And the breeder has also offered to give us some private training sessions because she truly cares about Remy and wants to figure him out because he's the odd one out on the litter. Everyone else got a mush and we got the maniac. :crazy:

She was so encouraging in the email. I just feel such a sense of relief that we are going to have help. I feel like we've been failing Remy and failing her in a sense. But we've reached the extent of our training capabilities here and need some fresh techniques. I'm so grateful!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Reading your post I can identify with you totally. They can drive you totally nuts sometimes you don´t even know where to find more patience.

Remy and Homer are similar in age, in think (Homer is 18 months). He´s also very "intense", hyper, jumps on people... I think it´s the age. Misha was like that but has calmed down quite a bit now that she´s over 2 1/2.

Homer already went to training school when he was 6 months but still he´s a challenge. What I´ve been doing is puting him on a leash when a visit comes and correct him if he attempts to jump. I ask visitors to ignore him completely so he won´t get excited.

Good luck. If you find a good source of patience please let me know where tu buy some more :D

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kaznalf said:
MidwestGirl said:
kaznalf said:
Ruh-roh Remy! Mommas putting her foot down!
:laugh: Snip snip
That too! Putting her foot down and getting the scissors out lol
It is going to be a sad day for him...I, however, may throw a party! ;) JK!

She says she has some self-control exercises we can learn. I can't wait to find out what those are!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
That's very nice of her! :happy: Hopefully the clases/private lessons can help you out..! I know what you mean about jumping on people.. not easy to deal with!

Have you tried to tell everyone to use their knees to push him off instead of their hands? With Abbey, that's the only way she is learning... And EVERYONE knows not to pet her with their hands if she jumps.. just knee her off and when she sits and calms down, then they can give her attention.

It's hard because not everyone knows the rule, but if it's in your own house, you can at least try to control it.. better than in public!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Retriever Mama said:
kaznalf said:
MidwestGirl said:
kaznalf said:
Ruh-roh Remy! Mommas putting her foot down!
:laugh: Snip snip
That too! Putting her foot down and getting the scissors out lol
It is going to be a sad day for him...I, however, may throw a party! ;) JK!

She says she has some self-control exercises we can learn. I can't wait to find out what those are!
I need to know what they are as atm whenever ppl come round i end up having to put Alfie out, he is too tall so therefore can reach your face and he goes and licks visitors, however much I ask them to ignore him some dont, he doesnt jump up but can be irritating for non dog ppl. I would like to have it so he sniffs guests and then goes and lays down on his bed which i want to get him for the living room.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kal3idoscope said:
Have you tried to tell everyone to use their knees to push him off instead of their hands? With Abbey, that's the only way she is learning... And EVERYONE knows not to pet her with their hands if she jumps.. just knee her off and when she sits and calms down, then they can give her attention.
He just keeps coming at you. And if you do get him in a sit? As soon as you going near him? Sproing!! Back up at you. We have a Marley. We accept it. We've put his crate in an upstairs room for a couple of our dinner parties...oh the ruckus!! You would think someone was torturing him up there! But I don't want an ill behaved dog that I have to hide or throw outside because he can't be around people without leaving paw shaped bruises all over them...I'm really looking forward to these training sessions.

Oh...and I just made The Appointment. Next Monday. Of course...now I feel bad. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He just keeps coming at you. And if you do get him in a sit? As soon as you going near him? Sproing!! Back up at you.
You're describing MaceFace. :whistle: She's getting so much better though. As soon as someone is at the door, I start with "OFF! OFF! OFF!" and it seems to be working. Does Rem know 'off'?

People will deny it profusely, but I believe 100% that neutering calms them down. Frankie was like a different dog within months. :happy:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
We also do the "off!" chant. Baloo knows what "off" means, but in the moment he's so worked up that unless he gets LOTS of reminders, he forgets in a nanosecond. :whatever:

So I've coached everyone who comes into our house to chant "off! off! off!" as they open the door, as they're walking in, taking off shoes, etc. Not looking at him or paying him any attention, just chanting. It works, and he just wiggles and circles instead of launching. :D

FWIW, neutering had zero effect on Baloo as far as excitability goes. His focus improved a bit during training, but he most definitely did NOT "calm down".

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Baloo317 said:
We also do the "off!" chant. Baloo knows what "off" means, but in the moment he's so worked up that unless he gets LOTS of reminders, he forgets in a nanosecond. :whatever:

So I've coached everyone who comes into our house to chant "off! off! off!" as they open the door, as they're walking in, taking off shoes, etc. Not looking at him or paying him any attention, just chanting. It works, and he just wiggles and circles instead of launching. :D
OFF means mainly OFF the couch. I'm currently working with SIT figuring he knows that best of all commands and does it without thinking. He just can't keep his wiggly tush on the floor for more than 2 seconds is all. Stay is definitely something that needs work. Or Superglue. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
For us, "OFF" means get all four back on the floor, no matter what the situation. We started using it with counter-surfing first and she learned it almost immediately.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I don't think you can call him a Marley until he starts redecorating by de-carpeting rooms in your house and chewing through things you wouldn't think possible to be chewed through. =)

Very nice response from your breeder. Help is ALWAYS nice. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
For us, "OFF" means get all four back on the floor, no matter what the situation. We started using it with counter-surfing first and she learned it almost immediately.
Ditto. "Off!" me, "Off!" him/her, "Off!" the couch, "Off!" the counter/table, etc. Off just means Get Thee Off whatever you're "on". ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
The problems you have described are all discipline problems, and are very common for labrador puppies. Discipline problems must be fixed with discipline and training - period. There is nothing in neutering that is going to stop your dog from doing what he is currently doing. I do second the suggestion of getting some help in training him.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Good Luck Melissa.... I wish you the best of thoughts while you attempt to calm your rebel puppy down :laugh:

Maybe you need to get him some undies with velcro on the bottom and get a velcro patch for your floor? Hehe.... I hope these ideas will give you the results you want. And remember, if you want to vent I'll always lend an ear.

cheers Sarah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts