Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Apollo was BEGGING to be let into the bedroom to play with the ferrets. Normally I don't allow him in there with them cuz Delilah is scared of Apollo and bites him on the nose. De was sleeping ON the bed though (with Sam) so I thought, ok, you can come in and play.

Apollo was having a blast with the ferrets. He was flipping them over onto their backs and licking their tummies. All four of the sable (dark colored) ferrets were having a blast playing with Apollo. Samson (white ferret) went up to Apollo and was playing with him but then out of the blue CHOMP. Samson chomped down RIGHT onto apollo's eyebrow and would NOT let go! :eek: :eek: :eek: Surely Apollo would rip Samson to shreds for doing that, but nope. Do you know what my dog did? He just sat there (ferret dangling from his face) and looked at me like "mommy, this hurts, can you please tell the weasel man to get off of me?" He didn't yip, yelp, bite, or bark. NOTHING. Just sat their like a good boy while I unglued Samson from his face! I have the best dog in the world! Just goes to show why you can NEVER let a dog and ferret play unsupervised.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good Good Apollo ;D. Bad, Bad, Samson :(

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two white ferrets have like a vendetta against apollo. Maybe they don't like the color black? Maybe they came from a home where a dog was mean to them. Who knows. Either way, neither Samson NOR Delilah will be going near apollo anytime soon. Thats for sure. Atleast Lugnut gets a long GREAT with Apollo. Even so, they are never left together unsupervised.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
haha!!! i can just picture apollo standing there with a ferret on his face :p

Cookie (my friends ferret) clamped down on my shirt once and boyfriend would NOT let go!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG he just looked up at me with the sadest eyes ever (and there was a big white ferret dangling from his eyebrow) I tried not to laugh, but I couldn't help it lol!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Appollopuppy, I am really afraid of ferrets. I just get the heebie jeebies when they come near me. This summer we will be visiting our relatives who have ferrets running free in their home. We will be there for over two weeks. Do you have any advice for me? I am not used to small pets, just one big labby boy, who looks a lot like your Apollo. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I LOVE ferrets, but I realize they can creep people out. One thing that people are suprised to find is that ferrets are very similar to dogs! They AREN"T like rats or mice. What is it that specifically creeps you out about ferrets. If I know what specifically bothers you I can probably give you some good advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't like the way they squirm around my leg or arm, and also how they surprise me. Sometimes they will just be there, with absolutely no warning. I really want to try to like them, but I am really worried that they will come near my bed, or maybe bite me or my kids. My BIL and SIL just tease me, but it really does scare me. I have tried giving"Fred" raisins before, and he has nipped my finger pretty hard. I think the ferrets know I am nervous, so they come toward me more, and try to climb on me. They are not really all that tame, and do not really like to be petted. They seem to like to climb the most. They are used for hunting( I think they scare things out of holes), so they are not just house pets. I am thinking that I might do better if I know when they are loose, and maybe they can be put in their pen at night.(so I can sleep.) Would you be terribly offended if you were asked to do that for a guest? I have a great relationship with my BIL and SIL, but just wanted some feedback before I call them Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....ferrets certainly have an odd way of moving. Maybe thinking of them as little doggies would help?

Since we are all dog people, here are some suprising ways that ferrets are very similar to dogs:[/b][/u]

1.) They wag their tails (not as often as dogs, but sometimes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxNg37ihdGQ&mode=related&search=

2.) Like dogs, they can either eat a kibble diet or a raw food diet (4 of my 6 eat a raw/natural diet).

3.) Ferrets need a rabies vaccination by law in many areas, just like dogs. It is also reccomended to give them a distemper vaccine as well.

4.) My ferrest are all spayed/neutered just like a responsible dog owner would do.

5.) My little ones wear collers and ID tags at all times in case they are ever lost. They are also all microchipped.

6.) Many ferrets know their names and know how to sit and stand. They can do tricks, just like dogs, although they aren't as eager to do them as a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUr-wM40ZE&mode=related&search=

7.) When they are babies they nip sometimes like puppies.

8.) The like to chase cats.

http://samsonanddelilah.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=P1010007_001

9.) They are extremely loyal to their owners, often to the point that if seperated from their owners, they will shut down and die.

10.) The love toys toys toys! and some even like to play fetch!!!

11.) They go for walks (but must wear a harness)

12.) Although illegal in the USA, in England many ferret owners go hunting with their ferrets. This sport is called "ferreting" and involves the ferret chasing rabbits from their burrows into nets

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/f-sport.htm

13.) Just like dogs, you can get ferrets from a petstore (puppy/ferretmill), a reputable breeder, a byb, or a ferret specific resuce

Rescue:
http://www.dookieshouse.org/

This is a raw breeder, she raises all kits on a natural diet (just like some dog breeders!)
http://www.hillcrestferrets.com/

14.) Ferrets live in a large cage, but really it should only act as a crate does for a dog. they should be out of their cage for long amounts of time.

Here is my kids version of a "crate"

Entrance to the remote litter box from the cage:

Tube connecting tub to cage:

Hendrix shows off his remote litter box

15.) They play bitey face

16.) just like dog shows, there are ferret shows. I am going to one in Ohio on August 28th.

Many people are creeped out by the way a ferret moves, it resembles a snake. Once you are around it for a while it doesn't seem so odd. I hope I didn't freak you out with any of the above pictures.

As for biting, mine do not bite, however they had to be trained to do that. Ask your BIL and SIL if their ferrets have a tendency to nip or bite. Request that they are honest with you. Ferrets CAN bite, but so can a dog or cat, most of the time a ferret bites when it wants to play (kinda like a puppy). IF a ferret does bite you, it isn't that bad really. Just feels like a pinch (only problem biters bite hard enough to break the skin and cause real pain). How old are your kids? I really wouldn't reccomend that kids under the age of 10 handle ferrets. I let young kids pet my ferrets, but I request that they only pet their bottom half. If your BIL and SIL have well socialized ferrets it should be ok. Many ferrets appear "wild" and "crazy" but that is just how they play. Ferrets will "war dance" jumping around, hissing, flinging their head from side to side, mouth open, crashing into things. Its just an invite to play, very similar to a dog wagging its tail.

Are there any questions I can answer about ferrets that might help you out? I'd love to help you if you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I changed the other post a bit, but you answered all of my concerns so well. I think that I will try to get to know them better, and hopefully the fear will go away. I will check all of those links tomorrow, and thanks again.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just take it slow, you are NOT obligated to like ferrets. I am creeped out by spiders, there is NO WAY I could ever "like" them, but I am learning how to tolerate them.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well trained ferrets do not act in the way you described above. Sounds like your BIL and SIL have a few unruly dudes lol. Ferrets have been domesticated for 2,500 years and in America its illegal to hunt with them. Are you not in the US?

I would try to avoid the ferrets that your BIL/SIL has. I wish more people would take the time to train their ferrets, but just like a puppy that isn't trained, a ferret that isn't trained is unruly, rowdy, and hyper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Apollopuppy, I just realized what a complete post you gave. Thanks so much. My kids are both over 10, but I think the ferrets that we will be with are not quite as tame as yours. I am definitely going to clarify some things before we visit, and I am going to get to know the ferrets a bit better. Thanks for all of your help, and as you can see, I lurk here a lot and rarely post. I feel like I know you from all of your posts though. Have a good night, I am off to bed.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad I was able to help you out. If you need ANYTHING at all I can help you. Pssttt....try bitter apple spray. Coat your hands with it before going near the ferrets. If they bite you, they'll get a nasty suprise lol

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Shadow said:
Apollopuppy, I just realized what a complete post you gave. Thanks so much. My kids are both over 10, but I think the ferrets that we will be with are not quite as tame as yours. I am definitely going to clarify some things before we visit, and I am going to get to know the ferrets a bit better. Thanks for all of your help, and as you can see, I lurk here a lot and rarely post. I feel like I know you from all of your posts though. Have a good night, I am off to bed.
YEH... That post was awesome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts