Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mass tonight is really unique -- in fact, there's really no Mass like it in all of the remainder of the Roman Catholic calendar.

We mark the Last Supper, including a ceremony where the priest will wash the feet of 12 representatives of the various ministries of our parish.

We celebrate the anniversary of the creation of the Priesthood: Go and make disciples of all men.

We honor the institution of Holy Communion: Take and eat this bread and drink this wine and do this in remembrance of Me.

I love this liturgy. I really do. My background in church music include 11 years in a Catholic Church, followed by 11 years in a Methodist Church... where Maundy Thursday just wasn't the same. I enjoyed those years with the Methodists -- it was amazingly informative, and I got to work with the best Pastor ever, a more Christ-like man I've never met -- but it's nice to be back, enhancing with music this most mystical night.

I'll be exhausted over the next four days, with a ton of church commitments. But tonight is pure joy.....

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I agree with you Dan. I make the trek to the church in which I was raised for tonights Mass,and Easter. My current church is literally in my back yard, but I always go "home" for Holy Week. Strange isn't it?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
including a ceremony where the priest will wash the feet of 12 representatives of the various ministries of our parish.
:-X :-X :-X
I chalk that right up there with clipping toenails.

Have fun Dan, sounds great!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
including a ceremony where the priest will wash the feet of 12 representatives of the various ministries of our parish.
:-X :-X :-X
I chalk that right up there with clipping toenails.

Have fun Dan, sounds great!
I'm a former Alter boy and trust me the feet are "pre-cleaned" ;D

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I love this time of year, too!

I am episcopalian, so we have a lot of the same pomp and circumstance and rituals the the RC church does.

Tonight - Feast of Friends, remembering the last supper, with foot washing
Fri - Good Friday, noon and evening, singing for the stations of the cross
Sat - the Easter vigil. Starts somber, ends joyfully. Ends with a champagne toast.
Sun - Easter, the biggest day in the liturgical calender. The big shebang.

I think I like this better that Christmas!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
dweck said:
Momma to J and A said:
Sat - the Easter vigil. Starts somber, ends joyfully. Ends with a champagne toast.
:D :D :D :D :D

We have a toast, too, but it's wine, not champagne..... Well, it BEGINS as wine. ;)

LOL yes, we have the eucharist, too. And unlike those crazy Methodists (I was raised Methodist and both of my parents are Methodist clergy), we get to use WINE! ;D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I always loved Holy Thursday Mass, too. And the lighting of the new fire during the Easter Vigil. I also have this old habit of trying to maintain silence from 12:00-3:00PM on Good Friday. A carryover from Catholic school upbringing.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Paddysmom said:
I also have this old habit of trying to maintain silence from 12:00-3:00PM on Good Friday.
Wow! I'm not the only one! This year it won't happen, doctors appointment at 2:30pm.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've never been but I am making it a point to go tonight! :) (And I'm getting Confirmed on Saturday ;D I was baptized Catholic and received First Communion, just never got Confirmed!)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
liveelayne said:
I've never been but I am making it a point to go tonight! :) (And I'm getting Confirmed on Saturday ;D I was baptized Catholic and received First Communion, just never got Confirmed!)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Tonight will be our first. I was baptized early when I was a baby but I will be again on Sunday by MY choice with my boys.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
liveelayne said:
Congratulations! :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I just had to come back and add that I am making the Tabbouleh for tonight's service right now! (In rememberance of the last supper, we eat a small meal of foods that Jesus may have eaten).

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
liveelayne said:
Congratulations!
Thank you (sorry for the small hijacking...is this considered hijacking? ;D ???)
I don't think that it is hijacking...it definitely adds directly to the subject at hand. I am so happy for you!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I haven't been to a full ThHoly thursday mass but I did participate in a version of it. On the Teen's encounter Christ Retreat a group of individuals (the wheat team) gather and start the weekend with a "holy thursday" mass. the weekend is actually following the passion and the easter weekend.

I remember that night as it was one of my most memeorable and favourite events (2nd best) I participated in through the catholic church.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts