Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gave him a bath. He adores being bathed! (Used baby shampoo tonight so I could get his face nice and clean.)

Little tyke lifts up his legs... "Oooooooo! Mommy, get this spot here... and now the other one, please?" Tail, private parts, undercarriage... he just loves it all. Thank goodness because he gets really nasty in just a couple of weeks.

I can get his whole tiny self done in about 10 minutes and that bath water is FILTHY! But he's such a good sport about it that the job is kind of fun for both of us.

Tra-la!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That sounds so cute, Nance! When I had my Cocker, she'd sit there and shake like she was scared to death every time I bathed her. :(

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Nance, FYI the pH of baby shampoo is set (or should be) for humans instead of dogs.

While baby shampoo has the proper amount of balance between too acidic or too alkaline for humans, that pH is far too acidic for dog skin.

About 100-150 times if I remember correctly. Acidic shampoo, even when thoroughly rinsed off, runs the risk of causing skin irritation and dandruff.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Nance, this thread is not complete without pictures of the dear Scamp!! :D

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
What a good boy!
Ginger loved to get a bath too. We had to shut the bathroom door or she would join who ever was in the shower!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob Pr. said:
Nance, FYI the pH of baby shampoo is set (or should be) for humans instead of dogs.

While baby shampoo has the proper amount of balance between too acidic or too alkaline for humans, that pH is far too acidic for dog skin.

About 100-150 times if I remember correctly. Acidic shampoo, even when thoroughly rinsed off, runs the risk of causing skin irritation and dandruff.
Oh my gosh! I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I'll return to his regular doggie shampoo next time. My bad. :(

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I'm sensitive about using human shampoo on dogs because I made that mistake with my black Lab, Bess. I used baby shampoo on her in the misguided belief it was gentle. As a result, she had fairly constant dandruff -- no doubt from the skin irritation caused by the shampoo (which I didn't realize until Puff).

The link below describes the pH scale which is the scientific measure of how acidic or alkaline a substance is. The scale ranges from 0.0 (most acidic) through 7.0 (neutral, like distilled water) to 14.0 (most alkaline AKA base/basic)

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

The graph in the link below compares the pH values for humans and various animals. You'll note that human skin has a pH value around 4.8 (acidic) while Labrador skin has a pH around 6.8.

Since pH values are on a logarithmic scale, a value on the scale that differs from another by as much as 1.0 (say 6.1 and 7.1 or 8.6 and 9.6) is 10X that of another that's 1.0 distant. So, since the skin of humans and Labradors is 2 whole integers apart (4.8 to 6.8 ) that's 10 x 10 = 100; so human skin is 100 times more acidic than Labrador skin.

http://publications.royalcanin.com/...102343&com=27&animal=0&lang=2&session=6478160

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'm glad there are some *chores* that are actually enjoyable!

I think you should have bathing photos next time, though ;) I want to see Scamp in the sudsy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts