Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received what I'd call a soft offer from a firm doing exactly what I wanted to do. They did warn me up front that there was a possibility they'd have to rescind the offer depending on the economy so I never really stopped looking for other jobs.

Today I got the call I was sort of expecting. They are going to fill my position with a senior attorney who was laid off in a different department. I guess it's better now than later when student loans are due.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
sorry, but yeh; better now than when you are really counting on that money. good luck; you'll find another one!!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I just thought of something... your possible placement was filled by a senior attourney? They must have thought very highly of you, Nick! For the senior's experience to be so valued and you to be considered for the position?

I hope that sounded like praise for you... I meant it to be that way.

*high 5*

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought of something... your possible placement was filled by a senior attourney? They must have thought very highly of you, Nick! For the senior's experience to be so valued and you to be considered for the position?

I hope that sounded like praise for you... I meant it to be that way.

*high 5*
Thanks, but unfortunately I don't think that's how it played out. I wasn't applying for a senior level position, the guy that will take my job just had to choose between being laid off and taking a junior position.

That's happening a lot in firms. They shift people around to keep from laying them off, but that means fewer openings for the new crop of attorneys.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Bummer! Are you applying here in Louisville or at your hometown?
In what area of law are you hoping to specialize?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer! Are you applying here in Louisville or at your hometown?
In what area of law are you hoping to specialize?
Both. I'd like to stay in this area so I'm looking primarily at Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati and Nashville.

I want to do corporate and tax law. The former isn't the best area to get into right now, but with all the changes and proposed changes in the tax code there's some growth in that area.

I had planned on getting my LLM in tax (a master's degree for lawyers) later, but with the job market like it is, I may go ahead and do it now. I really don't like the idea of another year of school and more debt, but it's probably better to do that than to take a job doing something that won't help my career in the future (like doing domestic relations or criminal law).

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i'm sorry it turned out that way, nick. even if you were half expecting it, i'm sure it's still disappointing. good thing you didn't rely on the position and have still been actively searching.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. Would have been nice to walk into something right after school. You'll find something; I hope it's something you really want.

I've got several friends right now who were on a strong partnership track and have been told to forget it. They can keep their present jobs but not to expect any advancement. Nobody's happy but they're staying put.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody's happy but they're staying put.
That pretty much sums up the market here. People that normally would've put in their 3-5 years in "Big Law" and moved on to their own firms or smaller firms are holding put. Everyone is afraid to move.

The federal government is hiring, I'm thinking that may be the place to work for now.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
That sucks, Nick. If you are interested in government work, maybe you should consider Redstone Arsenal as well. Not too far from Nashville and our economy is a lot better. You'd probably get a lot more towards government service with an LLM, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts