Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PEANUT BUTTER!!!! I gave him just a little bit on a bone and later that night he got a little sick.

So no more PEANUT BUTTER for Tater.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Never heard of that one Sam. Was it old or something?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No when I threw it away last night it was like half full. But when I gave him some the other night he had diarrhea and that sunday that he started being sick the night before I gave him some in his kong. O'Well the poor boy can not stomach it anymore I guess.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
well, I supposed giving him a gallon of it would give him the shits...it's very fattening and maybe he has a peanut allergy.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dani said:
well, I supposed giving him a gallon of it would give him the shits...it's very fattening and maybe he has a peanut allergy.
He doesnt get a GALLON of it. He gets a teaspoon once a week if that. I dont give it to him all of the time. Its more of a special treat. I am thinking peanut allergy. But either way he wont get anymore. I think he knew it made him sick because when I gave him some he didnt go right to it like he always does. Funny how they know and remember these things.

gabbys mom - no its wasnt peter pan and I just got this maybe a month ago. THe recall was back in late Feb. Early march right? I know I got this jar after the recall and after they cleared the shelves.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Classy. ::)

But a good point about the peanut allergy. I don't know if dogs have those, but food allergies often surface in an upset stomach/diarrhea.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
You're lucky he didn't end up with pancreatitis. I guess I don't understand all the stuffed kongs, etc. I gave them to Darby when she had to be quiet in her crate after surgery, but on a regular basis? Nope.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
LarrytheLabs Mom said:

But a good point about the peanut allergy. I don't know if dogs have those, but food allergies often surface in an upset stomach/diarrhea.
Not to be overly picky, but I think food intolerances result in stomach upset, etc. and food allergies result in an actual allergic reaction that can lead to anaphylaxis. For example, some people have a lactose intolerance, not a lactose "allergy." The only reason I know about this is that I am allergic to shellfish and have been doing some research on it.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Derf said:
LarrytheLabs Mom said:

Not to be overly picky, but I think food intolerances result in stomach upset, etc. and food allergies result in an actual allergic reaction that can lead to anaphylaxis. For example, some people have a lactose intolerance, not a lactose "allergy." The only reason I know about this is that I am allergic to shellfish and have been doing some research on it.
Be careful in certain medical situations. I know if you are allergic to shellfish you should not have ct scan contrast, and I think certain vaccinations.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
labby said:
You're lucky he didn't end up with pancreatitis. I guess I don't understand all the stuffed kongs, etc. I gave them to Darby when she had to be quiet in her crate after surgery, but on a regular basis? Nope.
Sammi loves her kongs and gets one pretty much once a day with kipples, green beans maybe some applesauce and a little peanut butter on the opening, guess I'm not sure what could be wrong with this :-\-just wanted to add that she is at a perfect wt. and I make sure to allow these calories so to not over feed her.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
CindersMyGirl said:
Derf said:
LarrytheLabs Mom said:

Be careful in certain medical situations. I know if you are allergic to shellfish you should not have ct scan contrast, and I think certain vaccinations.
Yeah, I talked to the doctor about this as well -- the issue with the CT contrast is iodine. This doctor seems to think that the connection between shellfish allergy and an iodine allergy is a myth. I am still concerned though because my grandmother was allergic to shellfish and iodine (discovery the iodine part during an angiogram).

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Derf said:
LarrytheLabs Mom said:

I am also anaphylactic to shellfish. :-\ According to my own experience and that of my allergist (doctor), an upset stomach is often the first sign that there is an allergy/intolerance. Many intolerances never become allergic reactions, but it is often the precursor. Also, anaphylaxis is not the only symptom/result of a food allergy- diarrhea, welts, rashes, etc all qualify as allergic reaction to foods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts