Just Labradors banner

I know I should be thankful...

689 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Mary Jane 
#1 · (Edited)
I am so frustrated with my job I just want to walk out. I have been here for 11 years and I am just tired ot it and of all the bullshit here. I feel I have no opportunity for advancement. My territory gets changed almost every year and I have to learn yet another new set of customers. Now we are really being jacked around and I really don't think I am going to have much potential to make money. We are being asking nothing about how to restructure and what they are doing makes no sense. They have no idea how the customers buy. I really want to start my own portait photography business but I have no idea how to do it. I know I should be thankful that I have a job. I was stepped over for promotion in 2009 by a person that had been successful ONE year of her 3 years with the company. I know she is an ass kisser and I am not is quite possibly why she got the job. I am so resentful that she is my boss. I just don't know what to do anymore.

#2 ·
I'm sorry your job is going this way. It's hard when we need our jobs so badly. If I was going to suggest something, it would be to go for your dream. It sucks to go to work everyday when you're not happy there. Life is short and you should be happy doing something you love. Our local chamber of commerce has small business workshops for people who want to start their own business. Perhaps you could check something like that out in your area. I also believe being a woman gets you and advantage with grants also. Maybe you could stay at your present job until the other gets off it's feet.

#3 ·
I'm so sorry you're unhappy with your job. I have a friend that just recently started a portrait studio. She started out a couple of years ago, and she basically did free sessions for people outdoors. Word of mouth spread about her awesome pictures, and she started getting hired for sessions, parties, weddings, etc... She saved her money and bought new lenses, backgrounds, props, things she'd need over time, and she just recently opened her studio. She's done quite well for herself - going from a SAHM to a successful local photographer. She stays busy all the time now. :)

#6 ·
I think she charged them the actual cost of printing the pictures out, but that was it. She only done this for a dozen or so clients, and she said most tipped her well anyway once they got their pictures so she was reimbursed for her time somewhat. :) She did it for the word of mouth advertising and to have sample pictures of her work to put on her website.

#5 ·
I'm sorry you are frustrated.

As for photography- maybe start taking some courses. The photography business is very saturated right now. If you take some courses or hook up with a professional, you may be able to find some good advice there.

#8 ·
Vent away! It's a great stress reliever.

Is there anyway you can start your portrait business part time? nights and weekends? I know many people who grow there business part time and when their real job is no longer needed they scale that back or wavebye,bye to it.

Besides it might be the bright spot to your work day knowing that you have a portrait to shoot after work. anything to look forward to is good.

#14 ·
You know, the best time to find a job is when you already have one. Is there anything stopping you from looking for new work now? You have the luxury of taking your time and being picky.. and maybe the prospect of having choices will be enough to pull you out of a funk where you are..

just a thought..

#15 ·
That is the best advice (IMO) yet...other than Amy cautioning you that the photography profession is over crowded. Truer words were never spoken because right now anyone with a digital camera thinks they are a great photographer. Like Kellie said....use your job to look for another one that suits you better. It takes both my hands to count the friends/family that I know trying to make a career of take pictures. Then I know of one PROFESSIONAL photographer getting ready to quit the business because he can no longer make a living off it because of this situation. I am sorry to be a downer, but that is what I am seeing in the area of which you are talking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.