Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work this morning........
A regular customer came in the office to pay a bill. I love when he comes in because he always brings Gunnar. (choc. lab) Well today when he came in and gunnar wasn't with him,

I said "Hey Mike, wheres gunnar?" He says "Well, yesterday I was in a car accident with someone which was their fault (gunnar was in the car) and a piece of glass went in gunnar's eye and he had to have emergency surgery and they think he might be blind in that eye now." Well come to find out the insurance co of that person will not pay for gunnar's vet bills bc he is a DOG. And I said "Well what about your personal injury protection? that is supposed to cover everyone in the vehicle, right?" and he said "apperantly that is only for humans." I couldn't believe that. That is no different than that happening to a child. I think he needs to get a lawyer bc that is just wrong. I feel really bad for him bc he can't really afford it, the only reason he did it was bc he loves his dog. he was very upset and didn't really want to talk about it.
Does anyone know any info that I could give him to help him out? TIA

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is a terrible story :(.

Unfortunately pets (even our beloved labs) are considered property when it comes to legal matters. I remember my college business law professor harping on this point during many lectures. Perhaps other states deal with this in different ways but I'm sure that's how pets are categorized in Kentucky. I guess the legal angle would be to get reimbursed for damage to property that was inside the car at the time of the accident.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Perhaps Mike should consider taking the driver at fault to Small Claims Court.

After all, it is an additional expense encountered through "property damage"; or even the "Liability & Property" portion of the at fault driver's insurance company should pick up this cost. :-\

·
Registered
680 Posts
Definitely take the driver to small claims court and get all the money for the vet bills back! That shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if he could claim it under personal property, that would help him out.
I'll tell him to use my lawyer he is awesome. The bad thind is the ins co would not even discuss it with him they just said no thats not covered. Thanks guys I'll let him know.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
The bad thind is the ins co would not even discuss it with him they just said no thats not covered.
Of course they said that. They don't want to pay the claim. Take 'em to court.

I had to fight an insurance company (State Farm) when one of their clients rear ended my car. I had $5000 worth of damage to the car and I was (still am) seeing drs for a year for my neck/back injury. The insurance company said they weren't paying for my bills. I said "we'll see." I had to take them to court to get them to pay but they did pay.

Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible (or better yet nothing at all). It's up to the victim to fight for their rights. Sad but true.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
kpowell said:
Definitely take the driver to small claims court and get all the money for the vet bills back! That shouldn't be a problem.
Small Claims Court cost is cheap, and you can either represent yourself or have any attorney. This is probably his quickest, most inexpensive route.

I sure wish the gentleman the best of luck with this one.
And this has certainly been educational for me....

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Can't offer any advice but I hope the man can make the driver pay for the vet bills. If the law considers a dog as personal property for legal purposes, then turn it on them...the property was damaged to the tune of whatever the vet bill was. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I will tell him to go through small claims court. He said the man that hit him was very nice and was concerned about Gunnar but he didn't offer to pay (of course). I feel so bad for him though. I miss Gunnar, I see him twice a month and ever since the first day I met him he loved me, but I think that is bc I had treats in my coat pocket. Now every time he comes in he goes straight to my chair. LOL its so funny.
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I agree, this should definitely be paid for, one way or another. I also agree with Lydia, of COURSE they are going to say no.

Until, perhaps, they get a letter from an attorney ;)

I'll bet Gunner's surgery is under $1,000, don't you think? That's chump change for damages for a car accident. They need to cough it up. Jerks. :mad:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AngusFangus said:
I agree, this should definitely be paid for, one way or another. I also agree with Lydia, of COURSE they are going to say no.

Until, perhaps, they get a letter from an attorney ;)

I'll bet Gunner's surgery is under $1,000, don't you think? That's chump change for damages for a car accident. They need to cough it up. Jerks. :mad:
Yea I would say under $1000 maybe like $750- $800
Im sorry but if I hit someone and their dog got hurt I would have offered to pay right away, of course I would like to see the vet bill first. I would feel horrible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts