Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my friend whos husband joined the Army back in January..
Sept 1st they have to be moved down the Fort Ruker, AL. She called me to ask me if I would take her monster dog so that when she comes back to visit her girls can see the dog ::) . The place they will be staying they can't have a dog..

Id like to be able to help find this dog a home and not go to Animal Control because Im sure NO ONE would adopt her. Shes a wild one! She has had NO training at all and hasnt been spayed ::). She has lived outside MOST of her life and is crate trained (because the dog cant run around in the house ::) )Shes a little older than Dakota and Dakota is 16 months..

Any ideas of how to find this dog a home without sending it to AC?
(sorry I don't know how to do this I have never given up a animal before)

*Edit* I dont have the dog. The dog is still at its "home" (if thats whatyou can call it). My friend wants to get rid of the dog and ME to find the home. I am willing to find the home for her because I dont want her to drop it off at animal control (and she would).

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Wait, just so I have this right: You agreed to take someone else's dog and watch her. And now you want to re-home her?

Is the original family okay with that?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dweck said:
Wait, just so I have this right: You agreed to take someone else's dog and watch her. And now you want to re-home her?

Is the original family okay with that?
no she wants me to take the dog.. I cant so she wants me to find it a home.. I cant bring another dog into my house. this dog hasnt had any shots and I dont want it in my house. Shes a nice dog just need training..

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Tell her no, then, and put her in contact w/a rescue organization. And in the meantime, suggest strongly that they get her spayed and into some obed classes ASAP. How long 'til the move to AL?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They leave the last week in Aug.
Im sorry how do I find a rescue for a dog who we have NO idea what kind it is. Its a mix and kinda looks like a fox but big..

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Google All Breed Rescues for your area. Around here there are a few that rescue any breed dogs and cats. I would tell her you can't take the dog and give her some contact info for the rescues you find and maybe on a spay/neuter clinic around your area. It doesn't sound like she really cares for the dog at all.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Do you have something like an Open Door Sanctuary?

Google may be your friend in this one. Maybe PM some of the rescue folks and see if they know someone in your area.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
look on petfinder.com for rescues in your area. You can also post a classified ad there to place the dog yourself - but PLEASE have your friend spay her and get her UTD on shots first.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG this girl needs to be smacked!! She wants someone to talk the dog and take care of it but wants to be able to come see it at any time she wants when she comes to visit her family ::) .

As for spaying the dog.. She wont do it.. It will be money out of her pocket and she dosnt want to. I would pay for it to be done but I have both my girls going in to be spayed and Dakotas shots and I am looking at $500.00 I cant afford another dog.
I found a rescue for her to try and contact and see how that works out. The other thing I can think of is our vet (we use the same vet) will take in a dog from its owners. they work hard to find the dog a home and it wont be pts just because no one adopts it. I was talking to Leah and they had a dog there for 3 years once before someone adopted it. They are put on a contract to have the dog fixed before they go home or if they are adopted fast the owners have to do it with in 30days I think it is.

So there are options for her.. I hope she grows up, finds a brain, and will do the right thing.

Some people shouldnt have dogs!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts