Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with a lady named Gail. She said they do not use "rice protein concentrate" in the ProPlan Chicken & Rice. I did not see it on the ingredient list but I wanted to make sure. But I still felt a bit unsettled when she said "we don't use it in that product." So....I wonder...do they use it in any other. :mad:

She was very nice but I felt she was not wanting to say much. Boy, all this sure makes me nervous. I am getting afraid to feed them any darn food now. :(

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Thanks for posting that! I've been checking the Pro Plan site every day or so the past few weeks. I got a little concerned when I saw they changed the site. Weird, I know. Something I found out while checking Pro Plan's ingredients- they're dry dog foods don' have wheat gluten in them, but the cat foods do. I can't play "the food game" with the cat- not only because she's 17, but because any time I've tried to switch her to a different brand, she starts throwing up before the switch is completed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Purina uses "Brewer's Rice" in Pro Plan. Brewer's Rice is essentially the same as whole rice except the kernels are broken and are not astetically pleasing to people- who prefer to see nice, long unbroken kernels. So, Brewer's Rice is not something that's been altered like Rice Protein.

Hope that helps! I know exactly how you feel, I've got my whole gang on Pro Plan. It's the only food they've done absolutely wonderful on, so I hope I don't have to scavenge for something else either.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...So, Brewer's Rice is not something that's been altered like Rice Protein....
Thanks for the explanation! I can never remember what form is what of stuff. Plus, just seeing anykind of rice in the ingredient lists was a little concerning.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Love Pro Plan here...thanks very much for calling georgie.

I considered RAW...but when youve got 3 healthy dogs... and one who just was PTS at age 14.5 and another going on 15...all fed on PP, why mess with success?
And Emma's breeder was dead set against it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Still feed all 7 of my plain old Purina Dog Chow. Always have done, except for a couple of years when my crew number was less and I could afford Diamond (Kirkland) L&R.

We've got glowing coats, clean teeth, excellent energy, yah yah yah here and I have no intention of changing that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to feed RAW. I did call Purina one other time. I noticed the kibble was a little different size & a little lighter color. They did change it a bit I was told but they sent me a bag to put 2 cups of kibble in & send it to them for analysis. It was fine. But they also sent me numerous coupons for free bags of ProPlan. I really did not want them to do that, I just wanted to see if the food was what I had always fed them.

My girls do so well on Proplan, no ear problems, nice coats, good stools. I don't want to change. Someone said Eukanuba makes their food in the US, that is where their plant is. I think Purina makes ProPLan in the US....but I don't really know for sure. Does anyone know? But it seems to be this darn imported stuff that is the problem. My SU wants me to call & ask them where they buy their wheat, corn & rice products from, but I haven't called back yet.

I don't want to start playing the "switch foods game." I guess we just have to trust some companies. :(

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I am planning on switching Tal to PP in 3 months when he can eat adult food. I don't see any reason to switch now, especially since he has done well on the IAMS.

I think it's like georgie said. At some point you just have to trust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feed my dog Large Breed Iams and put a 1/2 teaspoon of extra light olive oil for his coat.
I get tons of compliments Rocco's coat and is really healthy.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
This is so scary.

I picked up the wrong "flavor" of food for the girls yesterday at PetsMart and now they have Pro Plan Selects: Salmon and Brown Rice instead of Lamb & Oatmeal, but it clearly says "brown rice" so I hope it's ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts