Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lab, Shadow, that will be a year on the 28th of this month. He is a great dog and makes us laugh every day. He is actually my son's dog but he doesnt seem to know that....lol.
Recently he has started peeing/marking in the house. He is not neutered yet and has never done this before. Can it have anything to do with that? Hope to hear some advice on this.
Have a great day!:)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yes it has everything to do with that. He's sexually maturing and some boys mark (no pun intended) that pinnacle in their life by starting to mark around the house.

You need to really read him the riot act, possibly just before he does it. Give him a good "NO!" and grab him by the scruff of the neck and tell him what a bad dog he is. Then take him outside, just as you did when he pottied in the house as a puppy, and then tell him to go potty while he's outside. When he potties outside, he's a "good boy".

If he doesn't stop, it might be a good time to neuter him.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I totally agree with what Labby said, but I would also have him checked for a UTI, just to be safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! We made an appt for him on Tuesday to get him neutered. I will have the vet check for a UTI also.
I appreciate the advice very much!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We have a lab, Shadow, that will be a year on the 28th of this month. He is a great dog and makes us laugh every day. He is actually my son's dog but he doesnt seem to know that....lol.
Recently he has started peeing/marking in the house. He is not neutered yet and has never done this before. Can it have anything to do with that? Hope to hear some advice on this.
Have a great day!:)
Yes .. He's 100% marking his place around! :D

And congratulations .. Youre entered just the amazing world of the male Labrador! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am sooo happy Homer doesn´t mark inside the house... best boy ever!

BTW don´t expect the neutering to solve the marking issues by itself, it´s more of a "training not to do it" issue

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I am sooo happy Homer doesn´t mark inside the house... best boy ever!

BTW don´t expect the neutering to solve the marking issues by itself, it´s more of a "training not to do it" issue
I agree with this. You'll need to follow up with the neuter with some retraining of appropriate inside behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts