Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home with Emilu after class tonight and was almost home. I saw a dog standing at the end of a long, steep driveway, just out of town. As I went past, it ran out and I heard a big THUMP! "oh sh..t"!I turned around as soon as I could and went back (it's pitch dark) - didn't see the dog. Started up the driveway to let the people know that I hit their dog. There's the dog in the driveway, looking at me - no problems! I drove up the driveway anyways, just to let them know that I KNOW that I hit their dog, even though it appears OK. Of course they weren't home, but the dog seemed just fine. I can only figure that the dog ran into the side of my car and didn't hurt itself. Jeesh!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm glad that you and the dog was all right. It still leaves you messed up for a while.

Not to hijack or anything:

My husband and I hit a dog one time. We were driving back from Canada to Cincinnati, where we were living. It was 3 in the morning, no cars except a guy tailgating behind us on the highway between Dayton and Cinti. All of a sudden this big white dog came leaping across the highway right into us. We hit it full impact and the guy behind us couldn't avoid it either. The dog died, and I still pray that it was instantly. Our car sustained just over 2000 in damages but luckily we were ok, my 2 year old son was in the car with us. We had to pull over for a little while and I ended up driving the rest of the way because my SU was a mess over it.(he was the one driving) I was pretty bad too but I think it was different for me because I wasn't the one driving.

So I know how horrible it is. I still drive a snails pace whenever I am in a place where there could be kids or dogs running onto the street. I'm completely terrified of hitting another dog or worse.

I'll keep you and the dog in my thoughts that you both come out of the experience unscathed.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Oh man what an awful feeling that must be...can't imagine.Glad everyone is ok tho. And what's up with owners who let their dog run loose especially when they are not even home??!!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh my gosh! :eek: I'm glad it seemed OK. Maybe if you go back by there you could check up on it later. I'd be so worried. :'(

That was nice of you to turn around and check.

C

·
0 Posts
Oh dear! Thank god it was OK! How horrible for you. :eek: Dogs can be so intelligent but yet so stupid at the same time ;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many people let their dogs loose all the time around here. It's just that way. I didn't even look at my car! Guess I'll have to check this morning.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh my gosh! That must have been so scary! Our dog breed ran out into the road in front of our house before and got hit by a jeep, you could see her tumbling underneath this giant vehicle, but she came running out after it like nothing ever happened. She also jumped out of my husbands window in the car while he was going about 30 mph and came running up like nothing ever happened... Dogs are alot more durable than we take them for sometimes I think, what sucks is that they dont understand that they scare us to death when they do these things... I am glad that dog was ok and it was very honest of you to stop and try and let them know you hit their dog even though he wasnt hurt :) not alot of people would do that...

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
How scary that must have been. We live in the country & there are some people who let their dogs run loose. I drive these roads at a snails pace. I always feel bad when I see a dog running on the road. They do come out of nowhere.
I'm glad the dog is okay & you too. ((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
501 Posts
For future ref. a dog can be hit by a car and have internal injuries and just walk off as if it is perfectly fine.

Organs can rupture and bleed or dangerously shift position. The dog may not show any signs of injuries for hours and in some cases days.

I hit a dog a few years ago. I was driving down my street and a neighbor was letting her dogs out of the car after a trip to the park. One of the dogs ran out in front of my car - I never even saw i just heard and felt the thud. The dog, a weim, ran off back toward the house and semmed fine but I insisted that we take her to the vet. She looked and acted fine but the neighbor did take her in and they found a punctured lung, some internal bleeding and her spleen also had to be removed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sad....
For future ref. a dog can be hit by a car and have internal injuries and just walk off as if it is perfectly fine.
This is so true, my first lab was hit by a car...luckily the people came and told us or we would have never know because we thought he was inside. Anyway, when we went to find him outside I expected him to be laying in the gutter but no, he ran almost a full block away and becasue of this I thought he was okay. He died the next day and left a big hole in my heart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts