Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My landlord came over last night at 9PM :'(
She told me that her son wants to move into our place now that he is 21.
I have lived there for 8 years and it is the perfect place for my little happy family. Maggie loves it too. She's used to acres to run on!

What am I gonna do? It's so hard to find a place for a lab. All the places I've looked at say NO PETS! So many people don't want to rent to people with a dog and 4 cats! I've been looking all day. Rent in my area runs about $1200 - $2000 :eek: We only pay $780 right now.

Maybe it's time to buy? Well, 2007 has sucked so far for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm so sorry. That really does suck. Do you have a lease or anything securing you enough time to find a place? I feel so bad for you.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I keep hearing that if you're going to buy, now is the time. Sorry it seems like such a bad year for you. Maybe a move is meant to be?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm sorry. If you can afford to buy, yes, go for it! Even if you have to start small, it'll be yours!

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her son wanted to be in by June 1st, but she told us we could stay until July 1st. That was really nice of her.

I am not kidding when I say I'm having a hard time finding a place that will take a pet. Then when you tell them it's a lab, they say - Oh, no way. Labs are diggers or destructive. It makes me so mad. I have told them they should meet Maggie first and then make a decision. I even tell them she is 2 years old and not a puppy. Whatever!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are encouraging. Thank you. I am going to look into buying. It will be our first so I know there are options for 1st time buyers and we have saved money.

There could be a reason for it? ? ?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'm sorry you have to find a new place. If you don't buy and are looking for a rental, perhaps you could offer to pay a pet deposit if landlords don't allow dogs? That's what a friend of mine did when she had to move with her Boxer.

Good luck, whatever you do.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Mocha said:
Her son wanted to be in by June 1st, but she told us we could stay until July 1st. That was really nice of her.

I am not kidding when I say I'm having a hard time finding a place that will take a pet. Then when you tell them it's a lab, they say - Oh, no way. Labs are diggers or destructive. It makes me so mad. I have told them they should meet Maggie first and then make a decision. I even tell them she is 2 years old and not a puppy. Whatever!
In the state of California, if you have lived in a place for over a year, they have to give a 60-day written notice.

I moved to Oregon from So. Cal 2 years ago because I could no longer afford rent down there and no way I could afford to buy a house.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a place that wouldn't take a Lab but I asked and got a referral from my last two landlords saying my dog is not destructive and is crated and the new place took it. I call it my doggie resume and referral. I read about it on a pet website somewhere...basically it is a description of your dog, any obedience classes they might've taken, any certifications, etc. and then a letter from your landlord stating the dog hasn't done any damage or caused any trouble. It really helped me out.

I'm sorry you're having such a cruddy year. I couldn't buy a house this year and renting was going to be a real nightmare for me too, until I found this place and convinced them to take us.

Hope your luck gets better ASAP :)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
This is absolutely the best time to be buying in. (stinks for those of us who are selling, but that's the way the cookie crumbles) Don't count out Fannie Mae/Freddie Macs, they can be a great savings for certain situations, and if you could muster 20% down, you can lower your monthly costs by avoiding PMI.

The best thing we ever did was going from renting to owning. We ended up saving about $900 dollars a month by buying our home. The only advice that I'd give you that you can't compromise on is getting a really good home inspector and having your own Realtor. You want your own realestate agent because they'll be looking out for your interests only, and the home inspection is vital for making sure that you catch any issues that might cause you trouble in the future.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope something great comes your way.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
We used a company to help us get into our 1st home. Here is one that I found in California. They may be able to help... whether in your area or not.

http://www.calhfa.ca.gov/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. The only thing Maggie has destroyed was the inside of the house and that was only MY stuff and the chocolate syrup bottle! :p

Being that we are in the floor covering industry that has been a plus today. Telling potential landlords that if anything were to happen to the floor due to our dog we would replace it at our expense has helped.

Also, our landlord said she would write a letter of recommendation for us. (she better!)

Here's what we are looking at tonight.
3 rm 2 ba, deck, patio, carport - $1350.00 dog maybe but no cats (ha, ha, I just won't tell)
3 rm 2 ba, 2 car garage, large yard - $1500.00 - dog maybe if kept outside?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I hope you find something that works for you and the crew. You must feel incredibly displaced. It sounds like it might be time to think about owning your own home.
I will be keeping you in my thoughts that you find something soon and that is right for your family.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is SUCH CRAP that labs are destuctive! I promise NONE of mine have been at all! (Okay, one of them ate a bush...) but that was it! No chewers, my furniture is great, I have hardwood floors, they are inside and out, and my flowers within their fenced area are GEORGEOUS! (They know what "stay out of the flowers" means!)

Maybe this is just "meant to be" for you to buy something now! Things happen for a reason and this may be just the little "push" you've needed to fine the perfect thing for you! Maybe someone on here can help you look if they're in the same area as you? It would be worth trying... I'll say a prayer! Let us know how it goes!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts