Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am getting Jacey micro chipped tomorrow or the next visit.. Or when I have her spayed.
I have a hard time watching them get shots (fear of needles) I can just see me breaking down when they do the micro chip.
In the events of NOW She is with me at all times or in her crate. No one is aloud to take her out of her crate(I am never gone for more than 2 hours at a time). In the long run I want her to have it.. But if I wait till I have her spayed then I save almost half..
Why cant it be magic and just be there...
I am such a big baby..

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Aww. I have never seen a chip put in. Is it like getting a shot. I don't like shots either. When Mambo gets them I turn. He doesnt even notice.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I'm not particularly afraid of needles, but where Tal is concerned.. :eek:

Anyway, I opted to wait until he was neutered since the vet said he would never feel it as he would be under anesthesia.

I doubt it matters that much tho. And the only time he was out of my sight he was in his crate when I had to be away from home or he was at daycare. Come to think of it, it's still that way!

The only reason I considered it before he was neutered is the what if scenario. I think if you want to go ahead and get it done now, that would give you some peace of mind now. I think it's fine either way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mambo said:
Is it like getting a shot. I don't like shots either.
yes its like getting a shot thats putting something the size of a grain of rice in your skin. OUCH!!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I say tomorrow too. When Zoe got hers, she didn't even flinch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The technician at our vet said to have it done when neutered because the needle is bigger i think and they are put under for it

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Im not gunna lie, microchip needles look HUGE and they are hollow. I haven't had any of my animals microchipped yet, but one of my Ferrets, Delilah, gets a melatonin implant inbetween her shoulder blades every 3-4 months to treat the symptoms of her adrenal cancer. This implant is the same size and shape as a micro chip and they use the same needle to insert it. She screamed really loud when they put it in her (think of how it would feel to have someone shove a grain of rice under your skin. owie!) De bled alot when she got her implant, but she is MUCH smaller then a dog.

I say do the micorchip asap. Look away if you have to. Its better that your kiddo is protected from being lost asap. Its not fun, but lotsa dogs and cats don't even mind getting chipped. It'll be ok, promise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My vet said it was better to get Ranger microchipped when he is neutered because the needle is so big. Unless I was worried that he may get stollen before then. If you aren't worried about your pup being stollen, I would wait if I were you. Why put her through the discomfort if you don't have to. I decided to wait. He will be neutered around 6 months of age.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I held Frodo when he was 9 weeks old while the breeder microchipped him. He didn't even flinch. Seriously it was not a big deal. I'd say get it done now.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Wait until she is spayed. That's what we did with Maddy. We watched Hudler get chipped at 7 weeks. His breeder did it in front of us once we picked him out. Granted, we now know that Hud's a huge wimp, but that was a huge hollow needle and they really need to get jabbed hard to get it into the skin. He bled quite a bit (due to wiggling) and when it was Maddy's turn, we didn't want her to be subjected to feeling it.

If you have a choice, I would do it when the dog is under already...heck, and you save money too? Do it then!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well we are back.. They didnt want to do it till the next one anyway. She has a total of 3 shots today. She did very well!
Jacey wouldnt come see me while I was standing in middle of the living room floor talking to the kids she was mad at me. She had this aweful look on her face. But she will be happy here in a little I made her a special treat ;D
So next trip we will be putting in a chip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts